Spacecraft Operations Centre (SOC) Ground Systems EngineerAvanti Direct Entry Permanent Goonhilly, Cornwall, UK
Avanti Communications is a leading provider of satellite data communications services in Europe, the Middle East and Africa with significant international spectrum rights and a network covering over one billion people.
Avanti's has three satellites in orbit and two in build. Avanti has built on this success by constructing a state of the art satellite control centre at its facility in Goonhilly, Cornwall for the operation of the expanding satellite fleet. A Ground Systems Engineer is required to support the development, implementation and maintenance of hardware, software, processes and procedures for the satellite control system and ancillary operational tools.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Integration of the satellite control system for all future satellites.
- Participate in system validation testing.
- Develop system processes and procedures for access and use.
- Install and configure satellite control software applications and utilities.
- Maintenance and Upgrade of the satellite control system for existing and future satellites.
- Support future system expansion.
- Develop software tools and patches to meet the fleet operation needs.
- Use automation to carry out detailed system exception reports.
- Participate into anomaly investigation and resolution meetings as required.
- Install, configure, and validate (test) software and hardware upgrades and additions.
- Utilise a system maintenance plan and performance of maintenance to ensure continuity of systems availability and optimise system resource utilisation.
- Carry out routine system performance review documentation and participation in formal review meetings.
- Troubleshoot and undertake corrective action as necessary to resolve system issues.
- Ensure best practice use of system and archive backup plan to ensure operational configurations can be restored in the event of any failure, and the performance of the necessary backup tasks.
- Assist with the capture of requirements for hardware and software upgrades and additions to the control system.
- Provide on-call support on a rota basis.
- Provide support for occasional critical activities as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology management computer science, or a similar technical subject, or equivalent experience.
- Software development experience with scripting languages (eg Python, Perl) and programming languages (eg Java, C++).
- Experience of working with structured data (eg XML).
- Software maintenance and modification to adapt and integrate existing software in complex systems.
- Ability to work independently and effectively manage own workload.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Document and software configuration control management.
- Good technical writing skills in English.
- Validation of operational systems against user defined requirements.
- Demonstrable experience with Linux/Unix and Windows operating systems.
- Management and optimisation of relational databases using
Other Jobs at Avanti
No jobs currently available.