Research position in modeling and characterization of asteroids
PhD 3 years Belgrade, Serbia
Uploaded 14 Mar 2019
As a part of a pan-European research project, the STARDUST-Reloaded, founded by the Horizon 2020 Programme of the European Union, the Department of Astronomy of the University of Belgrade, offers a fully funded 3-year PhD research position in asteroidal science starting in November 2019. The successful candidate will work under the supervision of Dr Bojan Novaković.
Our current knowledge of the orbital and size distribution of a very small asteroids, down to few tens of meters in size may not be fully appropriate. Some available estimations are based only on indirect evidence, such as disruption rate of main belt asteroids. The asteroid belt is also subject to evolutionary processes, but so far, no model has included all the important processes affecting asteroid evolution. Besides, new models still have to be successfully tested against known constraints.
The successful candidate will focus on project aiming to better understand the orbital and size distribution of small asteroids, below 100 meters in size. To achieve project's goals the candidate should study dynamical and collisional evolution of asteroids in this size range, combine this in a single self-consistent model, and test the model against all available constraints. In addition, the candidate will work on characterization of near Earth asteroids and should define a criticality index that provides a measure of how easy the asteroid is to deflect with a given deflection method, and how interesting the asteroid is to explore and to exploit.
- Applicants should hold (or expect to obtain soon) a Masters degree in Astronomy, Planetary Science, Physics, Mathematics or related fields.
- Applicants should have good oral and written communication skills in English.
- Applicants should have no more than 4 years of experience after graduation.
- Applicants should not have resided or performed their main activity in Serbia for more than 12 months in the 3 year period immediately prior to the starting date.
- Applicants should have the minimum grade average of 8.0 out of 10 (equivalent of minimum 3.0 in US GPA scale), or alternatively, at least one peer-reviewed journal publication.
Other Jobs at University of Belgrade
No jobs currently available.