Mechanical Engineering Internship
Internship 12 months Harwell, Oxfordshire, UK
Uploaded 11 Apr 2019
This opportunity is for a 12-month internship, ideal for an engineering student looking for early experience of the aerospace sector. We are open to consider a full staff position following this internship. This is an exciting opportunity for you as an engineer to get familiar with both technical and commercial aspects of the space sector in a fast-growing start-up.
You will be joining Open Cosmos’ core team in Harwell-Oxford (UK). You will participate primarily in the Mechanical and design activities of the company and support the overall support of the Technology function.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Cradle to grave development of designs
- Cradle to grave development of test rigs
- Development of Assembly Integration and testing process and documentation
- Assembling prototypes and testing of prototypes
Skills, attitude and experience
- Demonstrable experience in the area of product engineering. Preferably the candidate would have developed a commercial mechanical/electro-mechanical product that has been sold in recent years.
- Demonstrable experience in testing of product for functionality.
- Experience in sizing mechanisms using first principles.
- Experience using structural hand-calculations to validate a design.
- Experience with any precision CAD software (Solidworks, Pro Engineer, etc)
- Experience in tolerance analysis (worst case or statistical)
- Experience in GD&T using ISO 1101, 2692 & 5458 or ASME Y14.5 to achieve high-reliability and performance.
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes to aid design and ease of manufacture.
- Experience in designing with machine & fastening elements.
- Experience with Python programming
- Experience with microcontrollers
- Experience developing test-rigs
- Experience with developing test plans
- Experience managing communications with suppliers.
Nice to have
- Experience with Assembly, Integration and Testing of aerospace or automotive product.
- Experience in Failure modes, effects & reliability analysis.
- Previous 6 month placement covering required skills & experience.