Junior Legal Counsel
Graduate Position Permanent Harwell, Oxfordshire, UK
Uploaded 26 Apr 2019
Who we are
Open Cosmos is revolutionising the way space technology is used and is at the forefront of the emerging new space industry. Our mission is to make space accessible to anyone, to help solve the world's biggest challenges. We do this by providing simple and affordable space missions, using nanosatellite technology, providing end to end space missions for customers around the world (private and institutional). We work with some of the biggest names in the industry, including the European Space Agency (ESA), but also with small and innovative high-tech companies, together developing the space technology and applications of the future.
Based at one of the world’s leading space campuses in Harwell, Oxfordshire, we are a young and ambitious team with the drive to define a greater future for this planet and the people living on it; therefore, when our minds come together to fulfil our mission to democratise the space we are happy to be part of something that is more than the best of each of ourselves.
Description of the Position
You will be joining Open Cosmos’ core team in Harwell-Oxford (UK) and will be responsible for legal, including IP and contracts.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Have the breadth of experience and flexibility of mind to apply your skills to a wide range of niche topics.
- Have ownership of the legal elements of all internal and external facing company policies and initiatives.
- Act as the company liaison to external global legal advisors where necessary.
- Safeguard the business through the effective review of all contracts for supply and purchase entered into by the business.
- Protect the business’ financial interests through effective management of debt recovery procedures.
- Take the lead in managing and protecting the company’s valuable intellectual property portfolio.
- Be responsible for management and oversight of the full range of legal, regulatory and compliance issues faced by a growing business operating on a global stage.
You will enjoy
- Annual Salary Review
- Working from home as per company policy
- Remote working as per company policy
- Annual Company Retreat
- Social clubs organised by the team – so far we’ve got Run Club, Paella Club, ice-skating Club and Thirsty Club – suggest something new?
- Healthy snacks and pick’n’mix sweets at the office
- Transport Allowance – extra pocket money to support our best talent working together
- Attractive Pension Scheme & Immediate enrolment
- 25 days holidays + 8 bank holidays
- Working at one of the world’s leading space campuses
- Working with a team of people to build the future of a new space industry
Skills, attitude and experience
- Possess a very high standard of written and oral English
- Have outstanding drafting, communication, negotiation, and influencing skills.
- Have strong attention to detail and be able to work independently
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple projects and priorities but still delivering great work.
- Be willing to work on projects across a broad spectrum of complexity.
- Have a creative and flexible approach.
- Be able to apply the law to real-world business problems.
- Be practical and pragmatic in their approach.
- Previous in-house experience gained through employment or on secondment would be advantageous.
- Have at least 2 years experience at a well-established law firm, preferably qualifying into Commercial, Corporate, IP or Regulatory/Compliance departments.
Nice to have
- International experience
- Existing network and relationships in the space industry, startup community and government
- Experience from working in or with a SaaS startup
- Knowledge of languages other than English