Early Career Physics Teacher
Graduate Position 2 years leicester, UK
Uploaded 7 May 2019
The National Space Academy provides education programmes, continuing professional development sessions (CPD) and careers events, designed to support schools’ curricula in science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) using space as the inspirational context. This ground-breaking initiative combines world class expertise in space science and climate science at leading universities and companies in the UK with a network of outstanding teachers to provide engaging and effective STEM interventions nationally. In addition, the Academy has developed and supports the delivery of the Level 3 Space Engineering course, and works with UK and international partners to support science teaching and learning at secondary level.
- Delivery of physics masterclasses for students (KS3-KS5) at the National Space Centre’s dedicated science classroom
- Delivery of combined science masterclasses for students (KS3-KS5) at the National Space Centre’s dedicated science classroom
- Support the Lead Physics Teacher Delivery of A Level physics teaching as part of the Space Engineering course in partnership with Loughborough College as required
- Maintenance and upkeep of the National Space Centre’s dedicated science classroom including ensuring that Health & Safety requirements are met at all times
- Preparing equipment for internal masterclasses, CPD events and Space Engineering teaching at the National Space Centre and events delivered by the National Space Academy core team and Lead Educators
- Clearing down the science classroom after masterclasses, CPD events and Space Engineering teaching ensuring any equipment is properly stored
- Monitoring stocks of equipment for the science classroom and working with the Administrators to order replacements and track purchasing against budget allowances.
- Complete and update Risk Assessments for classroom activities
- Support delivery of National Space Academy events such as the Careers Conferences and annual Symposium
- Order and collect dry ice for use in National Space Academy events
- Assist Lead Physics Teacher in maintaining and updating Dropbox resource folders for Lead Educators
- Support the evaluation of programmes and resources to ensure optimum service delivery and customer needs, as appropriate.
- Ensure that safeguarding procedures are followed
- Be familiar with National Space Centre operational and administrative procedures to ensure that customer care and other staff are not compromised.
- Working as a member of the National Space Centre team in ensuring that all Health and Safety regulations are adhered to, and that the Health and Safety of the visitor, and other employees are not compromised.
- Undertaking training and development as part of the Personal Development Programme.
This post will also require:
- Undertaking any other tasks relevant as may be designated.
- An understanding that these tasks are indicative of the role and are not exhaustive.
- That further reviews of this Job Description will take place as the role develops.
- Experience of teaching physics at KS3-KS5 equivalent
- Record of OFSTED “outstanding” teaching (internal or external assessments) cross-phase and cross-ability
- A strong interest in Space Science/Astronomy/Earth Observation Science
- A professional attitude to work and the ability to organise time effectively and to meet deadlines
- Ability to communicate well across different teams
- The ability to multi-task
- Ability to work autonomously and as part of a team
- Good IT skills with a willingness and ability to learn more specialist skills if necessary
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude towards all tasks
- Experience of safe handling of chemicals in a school environment
- Recent evidence of positive value-added scores for cohorts of students (cross-phase and cross-ability)
- Evidence of the successful contextual use of Space Science/Astronomy/Earth Observation Science in curriculum teaching
- Experience of developing education resources for teachers
- Experience of work with other departments (within schools)/ other secondary schools/other educational organisations/partners
- Full driving licence and own car
- Qualified Teacher Status
- Degree in a STEM subject
- Degree in physics
- Laboratory health and safety training
- Chemical handling/safety training