Who we are
Open Cosmos is revolutionising the way space technology is used and is at the forefront of the emerging new space industry. Our mission is to make space accessible to anyone, to help solve the world's biggest challenges. We do this by providing simple and affordable space missions, using nanosatellite technology, providing end to end space missions for customers around the world (private and institutional). We work with some of the biggest names in the industry, including the European Space Agency (ESA), but also with small and innovative high-tech companies, together developing the space technology and applications of the future.
Based at one of the world’s leading space campuses in Harwell, Oxfordshire, we are a young and ambitious team with the drive to define a greater future for this planet and the people living on it; therefore, when our minds come together to fulfil our mission to democratise space, we are happy to be part of something that is more than the best of each of ourselves.
Description of the Position
This opportunity is for a 3-month internship, ideal for an engineering student looking for early experience of the aerospace sector. We are open to consider a full staff position following this internship. This is an exciting opportunity for you as an engineer to get familiar with both technical and commercial aspects of the space sector in a fast-growing start-up.
You will be joining Open Cosmos’ core team in Harwell-Oxford (UK). You will participate primarily in the Supply Chain activities of the company and the support of the overall function.
Tasks and responsibilities
Implementation of the Supply Chain KPI (Key Performance Indicators)
Propose the perimeter, create the database and all the associated documentation for the maintenance and its usage
The definition and implementation of the Supplier Database using Access, SQL.
Actively supporting the team for all kinds of actions relevant to the Procurement process which cover (but not limited to) Sourcing operations, launch Request for Quotation / Proposal, Negotiation, Track Delivery to Reception.
Skills, attitude and experience
- Excellent people and relationship management skills to develop network and coordinate activities
- Understanding of emotional context and behavioural cues; ability to use these to control the situation, such as a negotiation
- Ability to understand the supplier/stakeholder’s needs and concerns to lead negotiation efficiently and meet strict quality, delivery, and cost deadlines that impact the entire value stream
- Ability to gather information, organise thoughts, discern best value
- Effective communication of ideas, strategies and results
Nice to have
- BSc/MSc in Engineering, Computer Science, Physics/Maths, Business or Supply Chain / Procurement
- Proficiency in any other languages than English.
- Positively adapt to change and handle ambiguous situations
- Broad knowledge on micro and nano-satellites
- Knowledge in basic electronics, programming and data base management
- Knowledge of Project Management
- Broad knowledge of space technologies, micro and nano-satellite subsystems in particular.