Spacecraft Operations Engineer
Direct Entry Job Permanent Glasgow, UK
Uploaded 15 May 2019
A Spacecraft Operations Engineer is required for a full-time position to work for one of the UK’s most innovative companies, a world leader in small and miniature satellite turnkey services.
In 2018, AAC Clyde Space* launched its Spacecraft Operations services and started operating Seahawk‑1 and Davinci satellites. To support the rapidly growing customer demand, the company is looking to expand its Spacecraft Operations team. This is a unique opportunity for anyone aiming at pursuing a career in the space industry.
As Spacecraft Operations Engineer, your mission will be to support daily spacecraft operations, to help streamlining the various processes and to develop specific tools to optimize the Operation Services.
You will be trained to use AAC Clyde Space Operation Centre and in particular our dedicated Mission Control Software. You will quickly be in charge of managing the communications with various spacecraft, sending commands and receiving telemetries to achieve the in-orbit commissioning or to support the nominal mission of those satellites. As you gain more experience, you will be able to analyse the data yourself and build a comprehensive knowledge of how the spacecraft subsystems behave in space.
You will be working in close collaboration with the rest of the Operations team, sharing experience, developing the Operations capability together and working towards mission objectives.
You are a quick learner, with a problem-solver mindset and enthusiasm to take ownership of pieces of work. You are also comfortable with new software and able to adapt while respecting quality assurance processes and keeping a high level of communication. Then please reply promptly as this position is available to fill immediately.
RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
- Manage communications (TMTC) with AAC Clyde Space operated spacecraft
- Prepare flight plans and schedules in interaction with customers and report on the health and main activity of their spacecraft
- Rehearse operations on a satellite simulator (software change, new scripts, schedules, new parameters…) for validation before uplink
- Work with experienced engineers to analyse satellite data, provide health trends and to investigate in-orbit anomalies
- Prepare and lead spacecraft in-orbit commissioning phase
- Suggest design and process improvements; contribute to the operation capability automation
- Build the Operation Centre documentation and processes (edition of procedures, user manuals, training materials, architecture charts, ICDs…)
- Minimum BEng degree (ideally MEng degree) in relevant engineering discipline (Systems/Electronics/Mechanical) or equivalent experience
- Ability to effectively diagnose and debug problems with existing or new software
- Able to communicate effectively and pro-actively within the team, with high level of integrity
- Able to work under pressure; resilience to adapt in a changing environment
- Excellent team worker (task collaboration) with the ability to work autonomously if necessary
- Technical report and procedure writing to a high standard
DESIRABLES (ANY OF):
- Knowledge of space mission analysis, RF principles and satellite design
- Experience of programming
- RF engineering experiences