Direct Entry Job Permanent Manchester, UK
Uploaded 31 May 2019
The Square Kilometre Array (SKA) is a global project to build a multi-purpose radio telescope that will play a major role in answering key questions in modern astrophysics and cosmology. Thirteen countries are now participating in the project, with others engaged in discussions regarding possible membership. Facilities for the new telescope will be located in South Africa and Australia, with our headquarters in a purpose-built building at Jodrell Bank, Cheshire, UK. SKA HQ currently houses around 80 staff but has just undergone a major expansion to accommodate up to 150 staff as the project moves towards construction and operation of the SKA telescopes.
Negotiations between the governments of SKA member countries to establish the SKA Observatory as an Inter-Governmental Organisation (IGO) have recently concluded; the IGO is expected to be established in late 2020.
This is an ideal role for an engineer with an interest in radio astronomy.
The Junior (System) Engineer will be a member of the SKA Office Telescope Engineering team and will report to the SKA Office Senior System Engineer. The post-holder will provide system engineering support to the System Engineers, and Domain Specialists.
The Office of the SKA Organisation (“SKA Office”) will lead the SKA system design and oversee the detailed design being undertaken within the globally distributed SKA work packages (WPs). The Science Team has been recruited to provide the link between the engineering activities and the science community. In addition, SKA Organisation is developing several policy initiatives critical for the future direction of the project.
Key Responsibilities, Accountabilities and Duties
- Provide support to the drafting and maintenance of system requirements, system functional analysis, used cases and system diagrams
- Participate in Reviews from a System Engineering perspective
- Under the direction of the Senior System Engineer, to provide key assistance to Telescope System Engineers, in carrying out their duties
In addition to the duties listed in the general information above, this assignment will:
- Work flexibly as necessary to ensure key project deadlines are met while engineering standards are maintained
- Travel, as required, to any of the SKA countries
- Undertake any other reasonable duties as directed by the post holder’s line manager or a member of SKA Organisation Senior Management Team
Mandatory Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- University degree in Physics or Engineering, another closely related and relevant field, or equivalent expertise
- Knowledge of systems engineering processes
- Knowledge in requirement management
- Familiarity of Model Based System Engineering or Model Based Engineering
- Good English oral and written communication skills
- The ability to work well with colleagues from a broad range of countries and cultures. Willingness to work flexibly as required to meet project deadlines, and in connection with meetings and teleconferences with e.g. Australia
- The ability to work well in a team with colleagues from both academic and commercial backgrounds
- Flexible team player who is adaptable to change
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Familiarity with Requirement Management Software (JAMA)
- Working experience of use of Model Based System Engineering tools such as CORE, Enterprise Architect, Papyrus, Others
- Technical knowledge of radio astronomy instruments, and radio astronomy techniques
- Knowledge of system engineering of large, high value R&D projects such as those in radio astronomy, space projects, telecommunications or defence
- Membership of, or eligibility for, recognised national or international system engineering institutes (e.g. INCOSE)
Other Jobs at Square Kilometre Array
No jobs currently available.