Lecturer in Geodesy and Navigation
Direct Entry Job Permanent Thatcham, UK
Uploaded 8 Jun 2019
The job is an instructional role in the Royal School of Military Survey (RSMS). The successful candidate will find themselves working in a mixed civilian and military environment, delivering training and education to predominantly military students.
The Geodesy & Navigation Burnham Lecturer is responsible for the delivery and management of subject matter expertise in geodesy and navigation, subjects associated within a Geospatial context including hydrography, photogrammetry, remote sensing, cartography, and for ensuring the effective delivery of related training across the range of RSMS courses.
- Line Management responsibility for the SIO Navigation and daily management responsibility for entire Geodesy and Navigation section, to include contributing to annual and mid-year appraisal reports.
- Delivering training and education through teaching in Geodesy, Positioning and Navigation for MSc, BSc, Reservist and Defence courses.
- Implementing and maintaining quality standards in teaching, learning and assessment activity across the Geodesy and Navigation Section, with particular focus towards the technical content.
- Implementing the continuous improvement of Geodesy and Navigation section and related RSMS course material and teaching standards.
- Developing Geodesy and Navigation section instructors’ resources in order to meet training requirements.
- Maintaining contextual currency across the technical area of interest by developing connections with related organisations such as Artillery, DSTL and other relevant communities of interest and leverage external developments and technical advances.
- Provide advice and guidance on all matters relating to NAVWAR and other GPS or INS platforms as required.
- Provide CPD opportunities for the Geodesy and Navigation section and wider RSMS, as appropriate for staff development.
- Participation in the RSMS Research Development Groups.
- Providing research ideas and supervising dissertations for both MSc and undergraduate students.
- Co-ordination of feedback on student performance for the taught courses.
- Undertake consultative responsibilities on matters relating to Geodesy and Navigation
- Teaching or training delivery experience is desirable.
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
Candidates will be subject to UK immigrationrequirements as well as Civil Service nationality rules.If you're applying for a role requiring security clearance please be aware that foreign or dual nationality is not an automatic bar. However certain posts may have restrictions which could affect those who do not have sole British nationality or who have personal connections with certain countries outside the UK.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours, Ability, Experience and Technical skills.
The applicant will be expected to deliver a short presentation (20 minutes) to an invited audience covering a Geodesy or Navigation related topic; this will be followed by a civil service competency based formal interview lasting approximately 40 minutes. Candidates will be required to complete an online Verbal Reasoning Test, Numerical Reasoning Test, Civil Service Judgement Test as part of the application process. The test must be completed by midnight on the closing date. The tests are not timed, as they work by giving you harder questions if you answer the previous question correctly, and easier if you get it wrong. You should allow up to an hour for each test. Internet access will be required for the duration of the test. If you require any particular arrangements (for example due to a disability or health problem) to be made in order for you to complete the online test you MUST contact the DBS Enquiry Centre on 0800 345 7772 BEFORE accessing the online test. Banked Scores Candidates that reach the minimum required pass mark will have their results saved as a banked score against the following tests: · Numerical Reasoning Test · Verbal Reasoning Test When a candidate has a banked score they’re not asked to re-take the same test providing it is set at the same level. Scores will be banked for a 6 month period from the date of test completion. If a candidate is invited to take the same test against multiple vacancies, the banked score will be recognised against all vacancies and all active candidates will progress. CSJT scores cannot be banked as each test is generated from the competencies required for a specific role which will vary between recruitment campaigns. If candidates have a banked score for the CSIST test prior to the 1 December 2017, this will not be saved as a banked score against any of the new tests (e.g. Numerical Reasoning or Verbal Reasoning). Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Candidates in their probationary period are eligible to apply for vacancies within this department.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria
Apply and further information
Contact point for applicants
Major Paul Hurst Senior Instructor GIM Wing, RSMS. TEL - 01635 204287 EMAIL - [email protected]
Sift/interview dates and location
The interview will be held at Denison Barracks (RG18 9TP) at a Date/Time to be arranged with the applicant.
RSMS working hours are as follows: Mon-Thurs 0750-1645hrs Fri - 0800-1300hrs
Applicants should hold as a minimum a first Degree(or higher) or equivalent in a related subject/discipline. In addition to this, a teaching qualification that equates to at least level 5 on the Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF) i.e. Cert Ed, is required. In exceptional circumstances, individuals may be recruited to the BL Group without such a teaching qualification. In this case there should be an agreement as part of the job offer that a teaching qualification will be undertaken and should be completed within two standard academic years. The successful applicant should be prepared to undertake further training in teaching, learning and assessment skills which should be completed within two years.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Making Effective Decisions
- Developing Self and Others
- Communicating and Influencing
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Education and Training
We only ask for evidence of these technical skills on your application form:
- Education and Training
Other Jobs at Ministry of Defence
No jobs currently available.