Embedded Software Engineer
Graduate Position Permanent Harwell, Oxfordshire, UK
Uploaded 26 Jun 2019
Archangel Lightworks is a start-up specialised in space laser communications based in Harwell Space Campus, Oxfordshire. Founded in mid-2017, we have secured long-term funding and successfully demonstrated several novel prototypes related to laser transmission and efficient perpendicular solar concentration. Our mission is to 100x the data downloaded from orbit to meet the demand from the growing satellites market, especially Earth Observation CubeSats.
Role & Responsibilities
We are passionate about innovation and driven to find new concepts for communications architectures. We are seeking an ambitious and experienced talent with a strong background in embedded software engineering and technical leadership to join our rapidly growing team. The successful candidate will be responsible for leading internal embedded software, firmware development.
Specific job responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Responsible for the design, and implementation of TMTC architecture, from software drivers to application layer.
- Responsible for the design, development of drivers for high performance sensors and actuators for a high-performance free space optical communication terminal.
- Supporting implementation of control algorithms on embedded systems, working closely with our Control Systems Engineer.
- Integration, testing and debugging of embedded software and (SIL/PIL/HIL) testing working with AIT lead.
- Planning, completing and documenting validation of new software.
- Managing external subcontractors where appropriate.
Interested applicants may also consider starting first as a fixed-term consultant while rolling into a permanent role although this is less preferred.
- Technical degree, e.g. in computer science, electrical or electronics engineering.
- Ability to define software architectures, plan and manage development to a strict schedule.
- Experience writing clean and efficient embedded C/C++ code.
- Experience working with Real-Time operating systems.
- Ability to generate Windows based GUIs for TMTC, monitoring of ground test equipment.
- Experience with programming SoCs (e.g. Xilinx, Altera, ect).
- Experience with programming SBCs.
- Experience with a variety of communication protocols (e.g. CAN, SPI, ect).
- Experience developing drivers to interface with a range of sensors and actuators (e.g. cameras, IMUs, fast steering mirrors, high precision encoders, motors).
- A logical approach to problem solving.
- Strong mathematical fundamentals including linear algebra and numerical methods.
- Proficient English, positive attitude, self-driven and interested in working in a start-up environment.
Desirable additional skills/experience:
- Experience with python and MATLAB is a strong plus.
- Experience designing, implementing, testing TMTC interfaces is a strong plus.
- Experience with image processing/analysis is a strong plus.
- VHDL/Verilog experience is a plus.
- Knowledge of microcontroller/microprocessor programming.
- High speed communications and interface experience is a plus e.g PCI interfaces.
- Systems engineering experience, exposure.
- Digital signal processing experience.
- Experience with ECSS standards.
- Some exposure to Free Space Optics.
- Numerical modelling experience (e.g. effect of atmospheric turbulence effects on optical links)
Other Jobs at Archangel Lightworks
No jobs currently available.