Space Propulsion Engineer
Direct Entry Job Permanent Harwell, UK
Uploaded 7 Jul 2019
Thales people architect and deliver satellite-based systems that help position, connect and observe our planet, and push the boundaries of our understanding of planet's resources. Our systems are in orbit at 400 km, 20000 km, 36000 km and beyond to the edges of the solar system.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
Working as part of the Thales Alenia Space (TAS) Propulsion Engineering Team, based in our Harwell office, and reporting to the Propulsion Engineering Manager, you’ll provide propulsion engineering support for the successful delivery of chemical and electrical propulsion subsystems for TAS in the UK contracts, and for future developments and continuous improvement of our products and systems.
This will involve, but will not be limited to;
• The specification of propulsion equipment requirements (tanks, thrusters valves, pressure regulators, etc), selection and technical follow-up with suppliers, propulsion subsystem development and qualification/acceptance test plan
• Preparing subsystem design justification documentation for major design reviews throughout the project life cycle in cooperation with the Program Management Office and other subsystems (Attitude Control, Data Handling, Electrical power, structure and thermal control)
• Establishing integration and test plans and requirements for the subsystem
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
• Establish a baseline architecture and hardware matrix for a propulsion subsystem to meet a set of top-level mission/system requirements
• Support the equipment suppliers selection process through TEBs and ensure technical contribution for the follow up of the propulsion equipment
• Subsystem and equipment technical requirements definition (Knowledge of DOORS RMF for requirements management would be an asset)
• Deliver technical documents for proposals and reviews
• Technical coordination of expertise to follow up equipment development and deliveries
• Respond to customer technical queries and actions from meetings/reviews
Qualifications, Skills & Experience Required:
• Technical Degree level qualification in a discipline associated with Space engineering (e.g. Aerospace/Astronautics/Mechanical engineering) or related subjects (e.g. Physics)
• Previous experience in the design of space propulsion systems, with specific knowledge/expertise in chemical or electric propulsion subsystems and technologies
• An understanding of the design and functionality of tanks, valves, filters pressure regulators, etc.
• Demonstrated experience in space hardware projects through phases B/C/D/E and knowledge of ECSS standards and processes
• Demonstrated good understanding of the level of technical detail required in the early phases of a project (Phase 0/A/B1) and an awareness of the wider architecture to be able to understand the context of the effort needed to construct a technical proposal
• Experience of working in a multi-discipline team environment
This position requires a flexible and “can do” approach to perform effectively in a dynamic business environment with drive and resilience in achieving work-related goals; a willingness to “go the extra mile” to achieve results when required; and an ability to communicate and influence effectively at all levels, including internally and externally with customers, partners and suppliers.
Other Jobs at Thales Alenia Space
No jobs currently available.