About the National Space Centre
The National Space Centre is the UK’s largest visitor attraction dedicated to space and space exploration, welcoming around a quarter of a million visitors each year since its opening in June 2001. Venue Hire is a vital part of the business, exploiting the highly themed surroundings of the award-winning building and exhibition to provide a unique experience. It has become firmly established as one of East Midlands’ unique, premier event’s venue; hosting 250 events and welcoming 16,000 – 20,000 corporate visitors per year. It offers a unique venue for a wide range of corporate events, from conferences to product launches, team building missions and evening dinners.
The Events Assistant role involves assisting in the preparation and breakdown of corporate events and helping to ensure that first class customer service is delivered to all our corporate guests.
You should have experience of working in a customer focused environment and be passionate about delivering high quality corporate hospitality events. The role is full-time and includes working early mornings, later evenings and weekends.
Role 1: Temporary role September 2019 to September 2020.
Role 2: Temporary role September 2019 to February 2020.
Responsible to: Head of Events. With day-to-day supervision from Events Manager.
Major Objectives: To assist in the preparation and breakdown of corporate events and helping to ensure that the first class customer service is delivered to all our corporate guests. Hands-on / physical role.
- Be able to run an event with minimum supervision from either Events Manager or Events Host.
- To provide excellent customer service throughout the event.
- Assisting in the set-up and breakdown of events.
- Work as a part of the operational team, including during peak visitor periods.
- Ensure that all health & safety procedures, including fire and evacuation procedures and adhered to.
- Assisting in the maintenance of corporate hospitality equipment and reporting any faults to the relevant department.
- If necessary conduct show rounds of the corporate facilities.
- Attend and contribute to regular corporate team meetings, showcases and exhibitions as required.
- Ensure stocks of corporate equipment are maintained, e.g. glasses etc.
- Assisting with event preparation, including cutlery and crockery, tables, chairs and linen.
- Assisting with any ad-hoc duties necessary to ensure a successful event, include undertaking space crew duties, assisting with housekeeping and similar.
- Provide Head of Events and Events Manager with briefings of new ideas, product development etc.
- Adhere to food hygiene regulations
- Undertake in-house and external training as necessary.
- Other reasonable tasks as may be designated
35 hours per week, with flexibility of times to ensure cover for corporate events. This will include regular early mornings, late evenings and weekends.
Closing date for completed applications is 12 Noon Wednesday 17th July 2019.
Interviews, for short-listed candidates, will be held on Friday 26th July 2019 at the National Space Centre.
To apply, please fill in the application form which can be found here.
Transport to and from work is essential and is the persons responsibility.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently within a busy environment.
- Ability to lead a team of Event Crew to ensure all tasks are completed efficiently and to the highest standards
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively with customers, other staff members/teams plus agency staff.
- Reliable, with a responsible and positive attitude towards work.
- Ability to remain professional, and to adapt to a variety of often challenging situations
- Demonstrate excellent customer service and an understanding of the needs of the customers by building a rapport.
- Communicate directly with corporate guests in a polite manor during an event.
- Excellent organizational skills and high attention to detail
- Ability to work alone and as a member of a team
- Ability to meet deadlines and to handle a variety of task/priorities
- Ability to comply with manual handling safety procedures.
- Experience of working within a corporate hospitality environment
- Knowledge of health & safety
- Knowledge of food hygiene and allergens