Optical/Quantum Communications Engineer
Direct Entry Job Permanent London, UK
Uploaded 19 Aug 2019
ArQit is building the world’s first global quantum key distribution network – delivering quantum safe cryptographic services from a constellation of low earth orbiting small satellites from 2022.
We have built an experienced management team of communications, satellite and security professionals, and are working with a broad variety of industrial partners to build and launch our system.
ArQit is seeking a passionate physicist or engineer, with applied experience of optical systems, to support realisation of our innovative quantum optical communication satellite payload and ground receivers.
This will be an exciting role working closely with our skilled academic and industrial partners, to deliver genuinely cutting-edge technology from the laboratory into the real-world environment.
The role could be adapted to suit the level of experience of the applicant.
The successful applicant will be based in London, UK. European travel is required, Part-time home working is possible.
- Perform technical analyses, modelling and trade-offs on system level optical communication budgets (classical and quantum)
- Review and enhance optical requirements, designs, budgets and plans documents from industrial partners
- Support, perform or oversee optical integration and testing activities
- Regular visits to partner premises to support progression of activities, delivery against ArQit’s requirements and identify issues
- Identify & investigate promising optical and quantum technologies for future ArQit systems
- Provide technical expertise to other ArQit staff as optical domain expert
Email CV to [email protected]
- Educated to degree level in Physics or Engineering (minimum 2:1)
- 2 years applied experience of optical systems, photonics or quantum communications in post-graduate or industrial environments
- Understanding of classical and quantum optics principles
- Desire to work on new technologies and concepts for space
- Desire to work autonomously within a small dynamic team
- Comfortable interfacing with external suppliers and partners
- Able to work in UK immediately
- Able to obtain UK security clearance
- Masters Degree or PhD in relevant field
- Experience in designing and manufacturing optical or quantum systems
- Experience with performance testing of optical or quantum systems
- Experience working with the European Space Agency & ECSS standards
- Familiarity with satellite systems and space environment constraints
- Knowledge of quantum cryptography and quantum key distribution