Electronics Design and Test Engineer
Direct Entry Job Permanent Harwell, UK
Uploaded 29 Aug 2019
Who we are
Open Cosmos is revolutionising the way space technology is used and is at the forefront of the emerging new space industry. Our mission is to make space accessible to anyone, to help solve the world’s biggest challenges. We do this by providing simple and affordable space missions, using nanosatellite technology, providing end to end space missions for customers around the world (private and institutional). We work with some of the biggest names in the industry, including the European Space Agency (ESA), but also with small and innovative high-tech companies, together developing the space technology and applications of the future.
Based at one of the world’s leading space campuses in Harwell, Oxfordshire, we are a young and ambitious team with the drive to define a greater future for this planet and the people living on it; therefore, when our minds come together to fulfil our mission to democratise the space we are happy to be part of something that is more than the best of each of ourselves.
Description of the Position
You will be joining Open Cosmos’ core team in Harwell-Oxford (UK) and will be responsible for the design, implementation and smooth running of hardware and software systems used to test and validate new and developing satellite systems. If you see electronics as a hobby and not only as a job, you are more than welcome.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Architect, design and implementation of hardware and software solutions for automated test, validation and qualification.
- Responsible for planning and implementing agreed test strategies for electronic subsystems during development.
- Conception and definition of test procedures, test plans and test strategies in alignment with design.
- Creation and execution of tests on demand from analysis, requirements and existing procedures.
- Generation of testing documentation.
- Provide production support for test solution.
- Provide design feedback according to testing results.
You will enjoy
- Working with a team of people to build the future of a new space industry
- Working at one of the world’s leading space campuses
- 25 days holidays + 8 bank holidays
- Attractive Pension Scheme & Immediate enrolment
- Healthy snacks and pick’n’mix sweets at the office
- Social clubs organised by the team – so far we’ve got Run Club, Paella Club, ice-skating Club and Thirsty Club – suggest something new?
- Annual Company Retreat
- Remote working as per company policy
- Working from home as per company policy
- Annual Salary Review
How to apply
Visit the career section of our website here.
Please include your CV, Cover Letter (max ½ page) and any relevant links to LinkedIn and your work (eg. GitHub, C++,
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Open Cosmos in the media
Skills, attitude and experience
- Strong hands-on skills
- Hardware and software development
- Experience with analog circuits and practical knowledge in analogue and mixed signal measurement techniques
- Experience with test plans and procedures
- Experience with embedded systems
- Scripting & test automation; Python, LabVIEW or other test automation techniques & tools
- Embrace challenge and work outside of the comfort zone
- Attention to detail
- Lean/Bootstrap mentality
- Honesty, openness and self awareness
- Quick to learn and coach others
Nice to have
- Experience of design and implementation of automated test systems
- Experience creating tests for a wide range of electronic and electromechanical devices
- Experience in RF characterisation and measurement techniques
- Experience with qualifications including CE and FCC
- Knowledge of statistical data analysis
- Linux shell scripting
- Altium Designer