Satellite Assembly Integration and Test Engineer
Direct Entry Job Permanent Harwell, UK
Uploaded 25 Sep 2019
Who we are
Open Cosmos is revolutionising the way space technology is used and is at the forefront of the emerging new space industry. Our mission is to make space accessible to anyone, to help solve the world's biggest challenges. We do this by providing simple and affordable space missions, using nanosatellite technology, providing end to end space missions for customers around the world (private and institutional). We work with some of the biggest names in the industry, including the European Space Agency (ESA), but also with small and innovative high-tech companies, together developing the space technology and applications of the future.
Based at one of the world’s leading space campuses in Harwell, Oxfordshire, we are a young and ambitious team with the drive to define a greater future for this planet and the people living on it; therefore, when our minds come together to fulfil our mission to democratise the space we are happy to be part of something that is more than the best of each of ourselves.
Description of the Position
You will be joining the Open Cosmos Programmes AIT team. You will be responsible for developing software and hardware solutions to automate our satellite production processes. You will also take part in test planning, procedures description and optimisation of our processes.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Architect, design and implementation of hardware and software solutions for automated test, acceptance and qualification of satellite systems.
- Plan and implement test strategies.
- Creation and execution of tests on demand from analysis, requirements and existing procedures.
- Generation of testing documentation.
- Debug issues found during production on satellite systems.
- To provide design feedback according to testing results.
- Development of software tools to automate production processes.
- Automation of test equipment.
You will enjoy
- Working with a team of people to build the future of a new space industry
- Working at one of the world’s leading space campuses
- 25 days holidays + 8 bank holidays
- Attractive Pension Scheme & Immediate enrolment
- Healthy snacks and pick’n’mix sweets at the office
- Social clubs organised by the team – so far we’ve got Run Club, Paella Club, ice-skating Club and Thirsty Club – suggest something new?
- Annual Company Retreat
- Remote working as per company policy
- Working from home as per company policy
- Annual Salary Review
Skills, Attitude and experience
- Strong hands-on skills
- Understanding of systems engineering process and importance of verification
- Hardware and software development
- Attention to detail
- Lean/Bootstrap mentality
- Honesty, openness and self awareness
- Quick to learn and coach others
- Interest in space industry.
- Simple is better mentality.
- Capability to produce clear and concise assembly integration and test procedures.
Nice to Have
- Experience developing electronics systems.
- Previous experience in the space industry.
- Previous experience working with thermal chambers, vibration table, vacuum chambers, or anechoic chambers.
- Previous experience in high quality industries such aviation, motorsport or defence.
- Knowledge of Python, LabVIEW or other test automation techniques & tools
- Experience of design and implementation of automated test systems
- Experience creating tests for a wide range of electronic and electromechanical devices
- Previous experience with RF systems and test equipment.
- Knowledge of statistical data analysis
- Linux shell scripting
- Altium Designer
- Electronics hobbyist with raspberry pi, arduino or any other project of that nature.