Satellite Data Science MSc
Undergraduate Research Opportunity 1 year Leicester, UK
Uploaded 11 Nov 2019
Satellite observations of the Earth provide us with detailed information about the natural environment and allow us to monitor how humans are altering the planet. Uptake, use, and commercialisation of Earth observation data demands expertise in data analysis. There is a need for graduates who understand the principles of remote sensing whilst being able to write computer programmes, especially in Python, and use high-performance computing infrastructure. This course covers these areas, placing you in a strong position to seek employment in industry.
On this degree you will:
- Use data from space-based sensors to understand and tackle pressing global environmental challenges related to the biosphere and atmosphere.
- Develop analytical skills to use and process big datasets from satellites and other sensors.
- Learn to effectively use and modify open-access big data processing environments such as Python and R.
- Get started with cutting-edge image processing techniques, artificial intelligence and machine learning, on different platforms (e.g. cloud computing).
- Gain an appreciation for the extensive application of Earth observations to multiple sectors throughout the world.
2:2 degree (or equivalent) in a relevant subject. Non-standard qualification or professional experience in a relevant area may be considered.