Engineer - Supporting SKA challenges
Direct Entry Job 1 year Lyon, France
Uploaded 24 Nov 2019
Contract type : Fixed-term contract
Renewable contract : Oui
Fonction : Temporary scientific engineer
Corps d'accueil : Ingénieur de Recherche (IR)
About the research centre or Inria department
Grenoble Rhône-Alpes Research Center groups together a few less than 800 people in 39 research teams and 8 research support departments.
Staff is localized on 5 campuses in Grenoble and Lyon, in close collaboration with labs, research and higher education institutions in Grenoble and Lyon, but also with the economic players in these areas.
Present in the fields of software, high-performance computing, Internet of things, image and data, but also simulation in oceanography and biology, it participates at the best level of international scientific achievements and collaborations in both Europe and the rest of the world.
The Square Kilometre Array (SKA) project is an international effort to build the world’s largest radio telescope, with eventually over a square kilometre (one million square metres) of collecting area. The scale of the SKA represents a huge leap forward in both engineering and research & development towards building and delivering a unique instrument, with the detailed design and preparation now well under way. As one of the largest scientific endeavours in history, the SKA will bring together a wealth of the world’s finest scientists, engineers and policy makers to bring the project to fruition.
SKA-France is a national coordination of industrial, technical and scientific activities preparatory to the SKA project in France.It created a consortium named "Maison SKA-France" to finance France’s membership in the Project Office (France being represented by CNRS who is the lead of the Maison SKA France), to define the French scientific and technological roadmap for the SKA, and to pursue the development of joint research projects between public and private partners targeting SKA major challenges.
Inria aims at collaborating with the SKA project, and in particular with SKA France, to bring its expertise in some challenging aspects of the project such as in high performance computing, big data, ressource managment, and IO.
The SKA project is now finalising the design work of all its components towards the finalisation of the construction proposal, including an intense Software Engineering activity. In this field, meetings scheduling the work of the different teams contributing to the collective work on software components for SKA are organised on a quarterly basis.
The recruited person will be at the interface between SKA, SKA France, and some Inria teams to contribute to answering to issues raised during the bridging phase, in particular with respect to questions related to HPC programming models, HPC IO, application performances, resource management, or energy efficiency.
The main activities can be split into four different types.
- The recruited personn will be in charge of following and suming up the information flow coming from SKA activities.
- She will participate to the coordination of the French effort in close cooperation with SKA France.
- For some selected issues and in cooperation with some Inria teams and SKA France, she will contribute to evaluate the actual requirements of SKA and to validate and transfer solutions available in some Inria teams.
- Subsidized meals
- Partial reimbursement of public transport costs
- Leave: 7 weeks of annual leave + 10 extra days off due to RTT (statutory reduction in working hours) + possibility of exceptional leave (sick children, moving home, etc.)
- Possibility of teleworking (after 6 months of employment) and flexible organization of working hours
- Professional equipment available (videoconferencing, loan of computer equipment, etc.)
- Social, cultural and sports events and activities
- Access to vocational training
- Social security coverage
Base of 2562€ gross / month. Wage according to the profile
Level of qualifications required : Graduate degree or equivalent
Other valued qualifications : A PhD will be very welcome.
Technical skills and level required : A broad understanding of high performance computing (programming models, supercomputers management, IO, etc) will be very valuable.
Languages : English
Other Jobs at Inria
No jobs currently available.