AOCS and Algorithms Engineer
Direct Entry Job Permanent Bordon, UK
Uploaded 4 Dec 2019
In-Space Missions Ltd is a small space mission consultancy and spacecraft service provider based in Bordon, Hampshire. The company was formed in August 2015 and has grown since then, building a team of experienced Space industry professionals to support large and small Industrial partners, government agencies and academic institutions. In 2018 In-Space also announced its “Faraday” service – the first European commercial payload hosting service for which the first spacecraft, Faraday-1, is scheduled to launch imminently.
In-Space has a fun and dedicated team who value hard work, a positive attitude and solution-focused thinking. We welcome applicants who will embrace their role and the flexibility required when working in a small company, and we reward dedication and results with a flexible environment to allow employees to flourish while meeting other requirements they may have in their life.
This is an exciting role which will suit an enthusiastic, self-starting individual who is happy to work on a range of activities from detailed algorithm and software development to the development of small spacecraft systems and subsystems. They will be comfortable working as part of a team to deliver projects to a variety of customers including institutional, academic and commercial organisations. The successful individual will enjoy working as part of a team, is willing to flex their priorities to support others where necessary and is comfortable with a fast-paced environment. It will require someone who takes pride in their work, and can present a professional face to clients, suppliers and partners.
The role requires some knowledge and experience of algorithm & software development and scripting, a strong background in maths and physics, a willingness to learn and the ability to work with others to identify and resolve technical issues. The right attitude/aptitude is equally as important as background and experience as this is an unparalleled opportunity to gain knowledge and hands-on experience of designing spacecraft Attitude and Orbit determination and control algorithms alongside a very experienced team.
While the primary responsibilities of the role lie in technical delivery, the role may require some bid support and other reasonable responsibilities as required by the business. You will be actively encouraged to maintain a current interest in space industry developments and there may be opportunities for the successful candidate to present technical results externally if interested.
Responsibilities will include:
- Derivation of Spacecraft Attitude and Orbit determination and control algorithms from first principals (with support from specialists);
- Development and verification of software to implement spacecraft Attitude and Orbit determination and control algorithms (with support from specialists);
- Derivation of spacecraft attitude and orbit knowledge, estimation and control requirements from user, mission and system requirements;
- Derivation of requirements & development & verification of algorithms and software for automation of parts of the design & implementation process;
- General support to/governance of the development of the spacecraft software by other team members and/or subcontractors;
- Algorithm definition for technical specifications to be provided to software developers;
- Management of technical requirements through the spacecraft lifecycle;
- Selection of appropriate subsystem hardware to support meeting the knowledge, estimation and control requirements;
- Co-ordination of subsystem requirements and dependencies with the wider spacecraft system design activities.
- Derivation and management of subsystem technical budgets and margins, with support from senior team members as required.
- Management and execution of Validation and Verification activities at a subsystem and system level (including lab testing).
- Collaboration with project managers to provide inputs to schedules; risk management plans; budget management and other project artefacts as required;
- Technical pre-sales support to prospecting and bid activities;
- Support to spacecraft operations;
- Provision of technical inputs into technical consultancy activities such as customer supports, studies and R&D projects.
You will report into a senior member of the Space Systems Team and your work will be prioritized in discussion with them.
Generous company pension contribution and private healthcare. 30d holiday as standard.
- Educated to at least degree -level in a relevant mathematical, scientific or engineering discipline;
- Ability to pick up new concepts quickly;
- Proven ability to work well as a member of a team.
Knowledge/experience in some of the following areas is required:
- Dynamics & control system theory and engineering;
- Delivery of software across the full development lifecycle;
- Technical delivery of complex systems;
- Delivery of space technology and/or space mission studies or R&D projects;
- Working in and collaborating with multi-disciplinary teams;
- Reporting project progress to internal stakeholders.
Knowledge/experience in some of the following areas would be beneficial:
- Working with suppliers;
- Spacecraft operations;
- Technical pre-sales support during bid activity;
- Knowledge of Space Standards (i.e. ECSS);
- Knowledge of UK Space Industry.
- Proficiency in at least one high-level programming language (preferably C and/or C++) and in scripting (preferably Python) and a general aptitude for picking up new languages;
- Proficiency of working on various operating systems including UNIX/LINUX;
- A good understanding of rigid body dynamics and other dynamic motions (i.e. orbital motion);
- Proficient in use of appropriate technical modelling tools (for example MatLab and/or others);
- Proficient with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Project);
- Confident working in project delivery and bid teams.
- Autonomous worker;
- Positive and helpful attitude;
- Willingness to learn;
- Attention to detail;
- Calm and professional approach to work.
Other Jobs at In-Space Missions Ltd
No jobs currently available.