Junior Mission Analysis and Atmospheric Flight Mechanics Engineer
Direct Entry Job Permanent Madrid, Spain
Uploaded 17 Dec 2019
DEIMOS is selecting 1 engineer to be integrated in the Flight Systems Business Unit to support new growth areas in mission engineering, in particular on mission analysis and simulation activities.
The position includes responsibility in launchers and re-entry vehicle Mission Engineering, including trajectory modelling, simulation and performance analyses.
The work of the Flight Systems Business Unit includes activities in the areas of Mission Analysis and Flight Mechanics with applications from satellites to atmospheric vehicles (e.g. launchers and re-entry vehicles), as well as the associated research, innovation and technology development.
As a matter of reference, DEIMOS has endorsed European level responsibility in a range of projects including:
- Launchers and Re-Entry vehicles (ex: DEIMOS-Orbex partnership on micro-launchers (http://www.elecnor-deimos.com/partnership-with-orbex/), IXV and Space Rider programmes)
- Planetary Entry, Descent and Landing probes (ex: EXOMARS programme)
Space Debris including Satellites Design for Demise and Active Debris Removal (ex: DRAMA and SESAM tools)
The following responsibilities are envisioned, to be progressively planned and allocated to the candidate:
- Involvement in Mission Engineering and R&D projects
- Development of engineering tools to support the Mission Engineering processes, including trajectory modelling, simulation and performance analyses.
- Flying Qualities and aerodynamics
- Mission analysis and system design optimisation for vehicle engineering
Aerospace/aeronautics MSc/MEng degree or PhD.
Desired: Engineer with at least 1 year of experience in the practical application of the domains relevant to the post (relevant PhD studies will also be considered)
The position will be tailored to the level of experience and additional industrial experience would be viewed very positively.
The following capabilities are required for the post:
- Atmospheric flight mechanics background (ascent, re-entry)
- Atmospheric flight trajectory simulation modelling and design, execution and analysis (Monte Carlo, statistical processing…)
- Knowledge on software engineering and programming languages (Matlab & Simulink)
The following capabilities are desired for the post:
- Knowledge of launch systems or planetary entry systems (capsules, lifting bodies…).
- Knowledge of satellite removal and space debris (end of life, re-entry phase)
- Knowledge of artificial intelligence technology for trajectory or vehicle design optimisation
High level of English, spoken and written
- Capability to integrate in and work within a team from different geographical locations.
- Capability to propose innovative solutions to complex problems
- Initiative, autonomy and self-development
- Responsibility towards the customer and workmates
- Technical presentation and reporting skills