Java Software Engineer
Direct Entry Job Permanent Edinburgh, Dundee, or Bristol, UK
Uploaded 20 Jan 2020
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a growing, innovative, employee-centred business in the space industry. We are looking for an experienced and motivated Java Software Engineer to join our team developing the next generation of spacecraft ground software and software tools.
As a key member of our team you would be responsible for helping developing elements of our spacecraft ground control software suite but also there are opportunities for working with other aspects of our growing product range supporting simulation, test automation and model-based tooling. The primary implementation language is Java, although a working knowledge of Python and/or other scripting languages would be useful as these are also used in our tooling.
About the job
We’re ideally looking to employ someone full time, although this is negotiable. Salary will be in the range of £20k-£40k+, depending on experience, with 36 days of holiday per annum and a 6% employer’s pension contribution. We have offices in Edinburgh, Dundee and Bristol, and this role could be filled in any of our locations, although a certain amount of inter-site travel may be required. All applicants should have the right to work in the UK.
As a member of the Bright Ascension team you would have a stake in the business through our Employee Benefit Trust which owns 16% of our business.
We are a small, innovative company changing the way that software is developed in the space industry. With customers across the world, ranging from universities and space agencies, to commercial organisations and start-ups, our core technologies enable our customers to develop and operate space-based systems and services faster, cheaper and more reliably. Innovation is at the heart of what we do and it is our team which drives that innovation; this is reflected in our commitment to employee ownership, which gives all of us a voice, and a stake, in our current and future success.
Essential technical skills
We see the following as essential to the job:
- good Java skills, ideally demonstrated in a commercial environment;
- development and debugging of high quality code and adherence to best coding practices;
- experience with Java application development;
- broad working experience, with a mixture of front-end and back-end with a variety of tools and technologies; and
- the ability to work in a Linux environment using a range of standard development tools
We’re looking for a dynamic and motivated engineer to join our team. We’re especially looking for someone who:
- enjoys problems solving and balancing the pragmatic and practical with the abstract and elegant;
- works well both independently and in a team as part of a fast-paced technical environment;
- possess strong verbal and written communication skills, both for internal and external, customer facing, interactions; and
- is interested in learning new skills and is open to new ideas and ways of working
Desirable technical skills
Some of the following skills, whilst not essential, would definitely be a bonus:
- knowledge of, or exposure to, space systems in either a commercial or academic context;
- experience in planning and executing all stages of software engineering, from design to documentation according to a specified development process;
- experience in performing requirements analysis and elicitation based on formal and informal inputs;
- experience of model-based and/or component-based software engineering;
- experience with: databases, either RDBMS or NoSQL;
Apache Maven; and JavaFX; and
- experience with use of version control systems such as Mercurial and git.