Space Project Manager
Direct Entry Job 3 years Milton Keynes, UK
Uploaded 31 Jan 2020
We are seeking a Space Project Manager to provide project management support across a range of our space project activities.
You will be involved in providing professional management, including PA/QA for our space projects and other opportunities such as contract work. You will provide management and schedule information; project reports and presentations for collaborators and funding bodies, financial management, developing comprehensive financial models to enable tracking of expenditure to enable completion on-time and to-budget. You will also support new project proposals and bids including their costing. You will also be the primary point of contact for customers and stakeholders (e.g. ESA and NASA) and will represent the University at national and international meetings.
You will have a first degree or equivalent in a science subject and will have worked in space related technologies and institutes and be competent in technology from academic research, industry or other sectors. You will have a good understanding of pricing, commercial licensing and intellectual property issues and be able to develop and manage contracts. Excellent communication, leadership and networking skills are also essential for this role.
• Degree in Science or Engineering
• Experience of project management of complex scientific instrument development, with demonstrable ability to work under pressure and to manage multiple high-stakes priorities
• Knowledge of project finances, reporting, obtaining income through grants and contracts
• Good understanding of mechanical design, electronics, space project test and qualification.
• Ability to think and operate strategically, with evidence of drive, adaptability and integrity, to make a leading contribution to delivery of strategic goals.
• Ability to lead, manage and motivate professional staff, developing and promoting teamworking and best practice, to ensure timely delivery of project outputs.
• High level of interpersonal and negotiating skills demonstrated through engagement with senior expert professionals.
• Excellent and adaptable communication and influencing skills.
• Excellent analytical skills in relation to conceptual and numerical data from a wide range of sources, and excellent problem-solving skills.
• Ability to perform work out of normal office working hours (to meet the demands of the space projects, e.g. during test campaigns at remote sites, etc)
• Willingness to travel to other countries in support of meetings, testing, etc.
• PhD in Science or Engineering
• Project management qualification
• Financial management training
• Experience working on ESA or NASA space projects
• Experience with MS Project or other equivalent scheduling software