Extragalactic Astronomy Postdoc
Postdoctorate Position 2 years Armagh, UK
Uploaded 6 Feb 2020
AOP is seeking to appoint a postdoctoral research assistant to work with Dr. Marc Sarzi at Fornax3D survey of galaxies in the Fornax galaxy cluster with the VLT-MUSE integral-field spectrograph.
This is a unique opportunity to join an international team of world-leading experts in extra-galactic astronomy and progress our understanding of the formation early-type galaxies in relation to their late-type counterparts and to the impact of galactic environment.
Specific goals of the research assistant may include the characterisation of the stellar population properties of the embedded stellar disks or stellar halos of early-type galaxies, the reconstruction of the star-formation history of late-type galaxies in Fornax, or the interpretation of these and other observational results in light of predictions from cosmological simulations.
As such, experience with integral-field data, unresolved stellar population or in the analysis of numerical simulations will be desirable.
- By the starting date, a PhD (or equivalent degree) in astronomy, astrophysics, or a related science.
- Refereed papers in major journals (e.g. ApJ, A&A, MNRAS, Science, Nature).
- Experience in delivering talks at international conferences and workshops.
- Fluency in one or more high-level programming languages (e.g. Fortran, Python, etc.).
- Competence in one or more graphical or text-processing languages (e.g. LaTeX, IDL, etc).
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Self-motivated and able to work without much supervision.
Other Jobs at Armagh Observatory and Planetarium
No jobs currently available.