Optical and RF Antenna Engineer - R&D
Direct Entry Job Permanent Reading, UK
Uploaded 10 Mar 2020
Isotropic Systems is seeking an outstanding Optical and RF Antenna R&D Engineer to join our R&D team for rapid ideation, conceptualization, prototyping, testing, and characterization of new product concepts and opportunities. The members of this multidisciplinary team must be intelligent, enthusiastic, and inquisitive, with goals of quickly finding new and innovative solutions for problems in different domains and applications. The position is located at our UK office.
Experience in lens and antenna design, computational electromagnetics and simulation-based analysis and design of RF lenses, antennas, together with programming experience (Matlab, Python, etc.) would make for a very compelling candidate for this position. Knowledge or experience with the concepts of transformation optics would be very beneficial, as well as experience in standard planar antennas such as patch antennas, helix antennas, dipoles, monopoles, PIFA, and microwave antenna arrays. Work with metamaterials/metasurfaces, transmitarrays, or reflectarrays is highly relevant. Experience in applying programming and scripting to solve physics and engineering problems is highly desirable. Independent, self-driven work ethic and good team, high verbal, and strong written communication skills are required. Some travel to customer and vendor sites and our US office is possible.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design and optimization of dielectric lenses and antennas
- Apply existing tools and skills to new applications
- Lens/Antenna analysis using 3D full-wave electromagnetic modelling
- Lens/Antenna measurements
- Design and optimization of anti-reflection coating designs
- Radome designs and considerations
- Identify and implement new features in our existing tools
- Generating comprehensive results-orientated reports for internal and external purposes
- Rapidly develop, evaluate and select candidate solutions for novel [problems
- Identify and implement new features in our existing tools and extend the tools to function in new domains and problem solutions
Skills and/or Experience Needed:
- Relevant engineering or physics degree preferably at PhD level
- Lens/Antenna design,modelling and analysis specifically focused on the following:
- Homogeneous and in-homogeneous dielectric lenses
- Antenna arrays- phased arrays, transmitarrays, reflectarrays etc..
- Beam shaping.forming e.g. via metamaterials
- Proficiency in electromagnetic simulation using 3D full-wave electromagnetic modeling software e.g. ANYSY, HFSS, XFDTD, COMSOL etc..
- Strong skills in Matlab/Python or similar
- Strong mathematical skills
- Proficiency in both Windows and Linux OS
- Technically proficient in MS Office products
- 1-5 years of industry or research experience
- Experience managing and using computational clusters.
- Statistical and data analysis (experience in R or similar packages)
- Conventional optical lens design or gradient index (GRIN) optics
- Transformation optics / transformation electromagnetics
- Antenna design, modelling, and analysis (lens antennas / antenna arrays / beam shaping / metamaterial antennas)
- Strong communications skills
- Ability to communicate calmly in a well thought out response, verbal and written
- Must have substantial problem-solving abilities
- Ability to effectively present information in team meetings and design reviews as needed
- Occasional international travel on request