Competition Lead for Olympus Rover Trials
Volunteer Role Varies UK Wide, UK
Uploaded 20 Apr 2020
We understand this time of year is a challenging and busy one for many students. If you are interested in the role, please consider applying as best you can, and know that we are happy to work around you when it comes to the selection process. Further, if successful, you will not be expected to commit the time immediately, and there will be a transition period where you will be working with the outgoing Competition Lead. Get in touch with [email protected] if you have any questions, or if you would like to request an extension to the application deadline.
Why should you volunteer with UKSEDS?
Joining UKSEDS is the best way to get involved in the space sector as a student. You’ll gain all sorts of skills and experience, and have the chance to work with lots of space organisations and members of the community. Most importantly, you’ll get to work with other like-minded students to achieve something incredible, and have fun while you do!
What is a Competition Lead (TL)?
A Competition Lead (CL) is a non-trustee position within the UKSEDS organisational structure. The CL will be responsible for the day-to-day running of the Olympus Rover Trials. They will work closely with the UKSEDS Events and Competitions Team Lead who shall support them in decision making and feed back information on the competition’s aims, activities, proposals, and progression.
The Olympus Rover Trials (ORT)
The Olympus Rover Trials is a national competition that challenges university student teams to design, build, and test small rovers, simulating a mission to Mars. They are given an ESA specification, and have to pass through a series of design reviews led by industry experts before they receive funding to build their design.
The competition runs from October to July. The successful applicant will be leading the competition from October 2020, learning from the previous competition lead beforehand (starting no earlier than June).
ORT Competition Lead Activities
- Coordinate with the ORT Rules Committee to finalise the rules and requirements document for the competition
- Coordinate with the UKSEDS Marketing Team to advertise the competition on UKSEDS platforms and social media
- Chair team meetings with the UKSEDS ORT team and distribute tasks
- Coordinate with the Competition Host to organise the competition day logistics
- Review lessons learnt after the competition day
We’re looking for someone who is comfortable working remotely, is highly motivated, and is generally a nice person. Working with UKSEDS should be something that you enjoy doing. We don’t need you to be studying a STEM degree, all you need is an interest in space!
If at any point, for any reason, you can’t do the role, that’s fine. We are students too, and we appreciate that exams, deadlines, and life often get in the way of volunteer roles like these. We will work with you to deal with these issues.
- Comfortable with working remotely
- Motivated, with good organisational and communication skills
- Able to work as part of a team
- Be a member of UKSEDS (it is free - ukseds.org/join) [To be eligible to volunteer you must be over 18 and be enrolled at a UK university or have been in the last 3 years]
- An understanding of mechanical and/or electrical systems
- A passion for space exploration
- An understanding of how UKSEDS operates
Other Jobs at UKSEDS
No jobs currently available.