The purpose of the role is to experience real-time, embedded software development on a selection of Military & Aerospace projects. The duration of the role is for 12 months, and you must be able to start at the end of July/beginning of August depending on the intake date.
Our Software Engineers are responsible for the design, development and test of real-time embedded software, bare metal firmware and automated testing, which is based on National Instruments LabVIEW and TestStand.
Software development mostly uses C programming and is targeted at variety of hardware platforms which include PowerPC, ARM and the latest Intel generations. We have a long history of alliance partnerships with leading real-time Operating Systems suppliers such as Wind River, Green Hills and Lynx Software Technologies, as well as early access partnership with chip vendors such as Intel. As a software intern you will work alongside other Software Engineers, Product Managers and Electronic Engineers to provide an exceptional software product for our military and aerospace customers. The twelve month internship will allow you to discover what we do and how we do it, and for us to learn from and about you. Our previous interns are our first port of call when looking for new graduates and our graduate scheme recognises the knowledge and experience that our returning interns bring back to the business.
At Abaco, we know that our people are our strength and we have a great mix of young talented people, supported by experienced senior engineers. We’re a team with a common goal. We are passionate about what we do and rely on innovation and being open-minded to help us succeed. We’re not just given responsibility – we’re actively encouraged to make things happen. Oh, and – we have fun. If that sounds like your kind of organization – why not join us?
- Work within the software team to develop and support various software and hardware product releases.
- Gain knowledge of project tools and processes, e.g. DOORS, P4V, JIRA, Confluence, static code analysis, Agile and others
- Produce clear, concise written reports and instructions to enable other engineers to follow/repeat a process
- Demonstrate initiative and enthusiasm for the involved technology
- Get involved in requirements analysis & management
- Implement and test embedded software and automated test applications
- Perform and understand software integration and verification
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Studying, or intending to study for, a degree in; Software Engineering, Computing for Real-Time Systems, Electronics and Software Engineering or similar (but not IT-based degrees)
- Desire to develop engineering skills in either real-time embedded software, bare metal software or automated testing.
- Understanding and interest in applying embedded software and electronic hardware to military and aerospace products.
- Good problem-solving and creative solution-building skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- An understanding of Linux and Windows would be beneficial.
- Ability to contribute effectively to team-working and group discussions
- Ability to work to timescales, achieve personal deadlines and contribute to team deadlines
- Methodical approach, including checking of own work. Maintain an enthusiastic, organised and positive attitude to work, with a polite, respectful and professional demeanour at all times.
- To provide effective communication, both verbal and written (internal and external).
- Ensure business activity is conducted in line with company values, policies & ethics code of conduct.
- Proactively promote and support the company’s compliance with Health and Safety legislation.