Junior Cloud-Based Data Processing Engineer
Direct Entry Job 2 years Darmstadt, Germany
Uploaded 29 Jul 2020
EUMETSAT is deploying cloud-based data processing systems associated with multi-mission data lakes containing data from all the satellite systems it exploits for its own purpose or on behalf of the EU Copernicus programme. These systems support system operations and also offer new big data services to end users, e.g. hosted processing on or online product customisation, in the new paradigm bringing the users to the data. A first portfolio of cloud-based big data services will become operational in 2021.
As a member the Data Processing Systems Engineering Competence Area of the System Engineering and Projects (SEP) Division, the Junior Cloud-based Data Processing Engineer will support the design, development/upgrade, verification and validation of cloud-based Data Processing systems, applications and services, including the associated procurements, and support their maintenance and evolutions during operations.
- Contribute to the definition and implementation of EUMETSAT data processing systems and related services making use of cloud technologies and solutions, including cloud-based product reformatting and customisation tools;
- Define and maintain service and system requirements and specifications for the development and upgrade of cloud-based data processing applications and systems;
- Support and follow-up developments/procurements of cloud-based applications and systems and their Integration, Verification & Validation (IV&V) testing inside the EUMETSAT full-scale Data Processing Systems;
- Support the assessment of the relevance of emerging technical concepts and technologies to EUMETSAT business;
- Contribute to the definition and planning of the transition of cloud-based data processing systems and services to full operational status;
- Support the Competence Area Manager in defining plans for “big data” processing systems and services and roadmaps for harmonising engineering, maintenance and evolutions of Data Processing Systems across all satellite systems exploited by EUMETSAT.
The initial contract will be under the EUMETSAT Early Career Employee Programme (ECEP), for two (2) years with grade A1 on the EUMETSAT salary scale. Subject to successful performance, a further contract of 5 years’ duration will be awarded in a post graded A2-A4. Additional contracts may be awarded thereafter, subject to individual performance and organisational requirements. There is no limit to the amount of follow-up contracts a staff member can receive up to the EUMETSAT retirement age of 63, and there are certainly opportunities to establish a long career perspective at EUMETSAT.
The minimum basic salary for this post is EURO 4538 per month (net of internal tax) which may be negotiable on the basis of skills and experience. The salary scale provides for increments on the anniversary of taking up employment, and scales are reviewed by the EUMETSAT Council with effect from 1 January each year. In addition to basic salary, EUMETSAT offers attractive benefits. Further information, including salary details, is available on the EUMETSAT web site.
- Outstanding motivation to develop towards full professionalism in an international environment in the area of Cloud-based Data Processing;
- Readiness to learn / expand the own knowledge combined with excellent interpersonal skills and the proven ability to work in a team,
- For this role some of the following would be advantageous:
- Background in processing of cloud-based big data;
- Initial experience in testing, integrating, verifying and/or validating data processing systems or equivalent.