Junior Software Engineer
Direct Entry Job Permanent Welwyn Garden City, UK
Uploaded 1 Sep 2020
Our software team is involved in the design and development of real time communication software and tools to support our satcoms business.
We are expanding our team and are seeking a Junior Software Engineer to provide support into a variety of software development projects for e2E’s commercial and governmental customers.
• Design, development, test and maintenance of satcom system management software and embedded real-time communications software
• Development of test modules in Automated Test Tools such as Cucumber and Gherkin
• Working within an Agile DevOps environment to contribute to the system/ product development lifecycle, supporting requirements engineering, prototyping, integration and test where required
• Provision of task estimates and progress information to team leaders/project manager
Skills, Character and Experience
• Experience of working as an integral part of a team
• Good communication skills with ability to produce and present clear, concise and unambiguous presentations and documents
• Desire to learn about systems development lifecycles, and to work in an industrial environment to create robust software for a real purpose
• Real interest in software and computer systems, and what these can do for others
• Ability to develop innovative solutions to defined problems
• Graduate with good honours degree in maths, science (including computer science) or in an engineering subject but with a strong interest or experience in software development, with minimum of one-year industry experience
• Security Cleared or ability to be Security Cleared
• Understanding of object-oriented principles; ability to work with abstract concepts, and to express and communicate them through documentation
• Ability to program in Python, and develop scripts in BASH, cshell etc.
• Ability to program in Java, or in another OO language
• Completion of a course, or having relevant experience, to be able to demonstrate an understanding of software engineering principles including software engineering methods, configuration control and the difference between ‘good’ and ‘bad’ software
• Understanding of satellite communications systems and terminals
• Experience of development in an ‘Agile’ Environment using Continuous Development, Build and Automated Test Management tools.
• Understanding of computer architectures, operating systems and Cloud deployments.
• Understanding of IP networking and network protocols
• Experience of database programming and query languages
• Development of embedded software or VHDL on Xilinx platforms
• Experience in using MATLAB and Simulink to model a system