Thales people architect and deliver satellite-based systems that help position, connect and observe our planet, and push the boundaries of our understanding of planet's resources. Our systems are in orbit at 400 km, 20000 km, 36000 km and beyond to the edges of the solar system.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
Due to the growth of our UK business we are recruiting for a Systems Engineer to support development of Cryocooler’s. In addition the Engineer will define requirements, architecture, design and verification for space systems in accordance with relevant European Space Agency flight standards. This will be completed in accordance with relevant Thales Quality Management and industry Standards. The Systems Engineer will work with the Lead Systems Engineer on Equipment, Payload/Platforms activities within phase A/B/C/D of proposals/projects.
The Main Duties And Responsibilities Will Include
Reporting to the Systems Engineering Manager with technical oversight provided by the Design Authority.
- Analysis of customer requirements and flow them into a compliant subsystem specifications
- Deliver technical documents and estimates for proposals and reviews on time.
- Conduct system / subsystem trade-offs where necessary
- Allocate/coordinate the initial satellite budgets and later updates reflecting the evolving design
- Architectural design;
- System Design and Integration
- Selection of parts suitable for the space environment;
- Interface Management and Specification;
- Requirements Engineering through the engineering project
- Establish Verification Control Documentation
- Critically review inputs from the different teams (systems, software, mechanical/thermal)
- Definition of test procedures;
- Supporting integration and testing at unit and Spacecraft level;
- Support to reviews at all levels of the design, development and testing of the function;
The position will be based at the TAS-UK Bristol office but up to 10% of work may need to be conducted at subcontractor’s or customer premises, typically in UK or Europe
- Experience in system engineering, ideally in space
- Ideally worked on ESA projects
- Exposure to CryoCooler systems/products
- Hold a degree in engineering
- Liaise with customers and subcontractors on technical issues
- Experience with Requirements management tools such as DOORS, and modelling tools will be an advantage
- Experience with scripting languages
- Experience with Matlab/Simulink
- Good team spirit and the ability to collaborate
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.