DE&S/SDA Engineering Graduate Scheme
Graduate Position Permanent Bristol, UK
Uploaded 5 Jan 2021
DE&S and SDA are looking for talented, motivated and skilled university graduates to join our Engineering Graduate Scheme and become our engineers and scientists of the future.
Successful applicants undertake various work-based placements within DE&S and industry to support personal development, scheme completion and initial professional development for Chartership or Incorporated status. This includes a placement opportunity where you’ll get ‘hands on’ with the equipment while working directly with the armed forces at a military establishment.
Once you’ve completed the Scheme you’ll be deployed into an equipment delivery team to continue your career and personal development within an application environment such as Air Systems & Platforms, Land Systems & Platforms, Maritime Systems & Platforms, Mission & Combat Systems, Nuclear or Weapons Systems. You’ll also continue to be supported towards gaining professional registration.
The location for most of our graduates is Bristol and while you’re on the scheme you’ll undertake placements in a variety of locations across the UK and potentially overseas.
Providing support to engineering staff across the business assisting with engineering activities, while continually developing yourself.
You’ll be involved in the following:
- Participating in a structured programme to develop capabilities in a defence context.
- Participating in the graduate discussion group to develop Project Management competency and Teamworking.
- Opportunities to develop outside of the training programme by supporting events led by the Technical Discipline Leads, Engineering Function or Other Government Departments.
- Delivering engineering products/services against agreed objectives to develop knowledge and experience and add value to the team and wider business.
- Building awareness and understanding of how the Engineering Function and wider business operates to assist in own development and career progression.
- Identifying opportunities to develop knowledge and experience to support Chartered or Incorporated Engineer Scientist evidence collation.
- Supporting colleagues in their specialist area and actively contributing to team meetings to help with the work of the team.
- Building and maintaining a network of internal business contacts and peers to gain knowledge and identify opportunities to learn and develop.
We have a range of exciting opportunities available within different Engineering disciplines, including;
- Sensors and Electronic Systems;
- Software and Cyber Engineering;
- Naval Architecture;
- Electrical Power and Distribution;
- Systems Engineering and Integration;
- Nuclear Engineering or Science;
- Weapons Engineering;
- Mechanical Engineering;
- Aero & Space Engineering;
- Acquisition Safety and Environmental Protection;
- Quality Assurance;
- Science (Chemistry or Physics degrees).
Please check the accreditation status of your degree and ensure that you include this in your CV or your application won’t be considered.
We are aware that many Nuclear degrees are not yet accredited and will therefore consider degrees in the Nuclear field that are not accredited.
Note - Some roles and all nuclear positions require SOLE UK National status and may require candidates to go through Developed Vetting clearance due to the nature of the project.
What you will be assessed against
Your CV must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
• Candidates must already have a or will achieve an Engineering or Science Honours Degree minimum 2:2. All degrees must be accredited by a Professional Institution licensed by the Engineering or Science Council by August 2021.
It is also beneficial to your application if you can demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
•Honours degree minimum 2:2 within the following;
Electrical and Electronic Engineering;
Electronics and Communications;
Software and Cyber Engineering;
Nuclear Engineering or Science;
Chemistry or Chemical Engineering and Physics.
•Relevant work experience, demonstrating engineering skills, including through internships or placements.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
•Communicating and Influencing.
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
•Technical requirements, evaluation and acceptance.
Other Jobs at Ministry of Defence
No jobs currently available.