RSE Cormack Undergraduate Vacation Scholarships
Internship 6 weeks Scotland, UK
Uploaded 11 Mar 2021
Are you an undergraduate student studying astronomy looking for funding to further your research skills this summer? The RSE Cormack Vacation Scholarships are now open for applications.
The RSE Cormack Undergraduate Vacation Scholarships are for undergraduate students studying astronomy who have a class record indicative of good research potential and who would like to further their skills and experience by undertaking a period of research at a Scottish Higher Education Institution over the summer holiday period. Applicants should be full-time astronomy undergraduates, normally up to and including the summer before final year.
Scholarships have a value of £266 per week and will be funded for up to a total of six weeks. Applications with a clear link to mountain-top observing/data may also be considered for the Piazzi Smyth Bequest Award, also valued at £266 a week.
- The scholarships are open to full-time undergraduates (normally up to and including the summer before final year).
- There is no restriction on home institution or nationality.
- Applicants must be nominated by a department in a Scottish Higher Education Institution.
- Applicants must have a record indicative of good research potential.
- The institution in which you are proposing to complete the project must be a Scottish Higher Education Institute.
- The project must be specified by the institution, astronomical in content, and involvethe applicant in original research work requiring initiative (for example, library survey projects are not supported).
- Cormack will fund a maximum of six weeks at the rate shown on the front of the application form. If your project is longer and you are seeking/have sought other funding, please give details in the relevant section of the form.
- All projects should be undertaken during the summer vacation of the year awarded.
The funding will open for applications from 9 March 2021; applicants are required to:
- Create a profile on the RSE CiviCRM, or log in using your existing details
- Once into your profile, access the online application.
- Complete the details on the online application form.
- Upload as part of the online form a statement of support from your supervisor
- Arrange for one referee letter of support to be sent to your supervisor to [email protected] by Friday 16 April 2021 at 12:00 pm.