Space Situational Awareness (SSA) Analyst
Direct Entry Job Permanent Harwell, UK
Uploaded 31 Mar 2021
Astroscale is seeking to employ a motivated SSA Analyst at our facility based in Harwell, UK. This is a unique opportunity to join a dynamic and rapidly growing company seeking to make a positive contribution to the growing problem of orbital debris that endangers mankind’s continued use of space as an asset. This role will allow the right candidate to shape solutions for our missions. Whilst the candidate will primarily work in the UK, they may interact with Astroscale’s Japan and US Offices, and may expect to be required to travel abroad as needed in support of Astroscale projects and operations.
- Contribute to the advancement of Astroscale’s understanding, requirements and future mission solutions in the field of Space Situational Awareness.
- Develop capabilities to understand and quantify the impact of space debris on spacecraft and spacecraft activities in orbit.
- Perform detailed analysis of the orbital environment in support of Astroscale’s business goals, with particular focus on the evolution and impact of the small debris population.
- Support the development of SSA data analytics, including data acquisition, archiving, processing and trend analysis, and explore the use of this information to refine Astroscale’s SSA needs.
- Provide technical support for SSA proposals.
- Develop relationships with relevant subject matter experts in the field of SSA and space debris monitoring and modelling.
- Participate in technical meetings, both in the UK and abroad, with academic collaborators, industry and government agencies.
- Degree level knowledge of an engineering, scientific or mathematical discipline, or equivalent science based/engineering experience
- Demonstrable programming skills in a high-level language (e.g. C/C++, Java, Fortran, Python, Matlab or equivalent language).
- Knowledge of the Linux environment.
- Evidence of solving real world problems through simulation and visualisation.
- Experience using existing scientific/engineering software, including problem construction and results analysis.
- Basic knowledge of orbital mechanics, mission analysis or SSA.
- Experience of working in a team in a close and cooperative manner, as well as able to work individually in a self-motivated, proactive manner.
- Ability to manage and take responsibility for delivery of own work, within agreed project budgets and schedules
- An advanced university degree at PhD level or equivalent an engineering, scientific or mathematical discipline, ideally in the field of launch vehicles, spacecraft, mission analysis or astrodynamics related topics.
- Knowledge of statistics, probability theory and relevant numerical methods, including interpolation, integration, regression, root-finding, optimisation, linear algebra and Monte-Carlo methods.
- Detailed knowledge of space debris, astrodynamics, spacecraft and SSA systems.
Other Jobs at Astroscale
No jobs currently available.