SPIN - Open Internship at Orbex
Internship 10 months Forres, Scotland, UK
Uploaded 31 Mar 2021
This year we are welcoming 2 interns. Whether you are an enthusiastic engineer who is keen to get stuck in to practical work, or an aspiring space entrepreneur who is fascinated by the commercial opportunities in space, we would love to hear from you.
You will be working alongside some of the most experienced launch vehicle engineers and professionals in the industry, on a programme that challenges the way rockets are developed and manufactured in Europe today. Depending on your skills and background we will agree the best place for you to fit in so you get the most out of your experience with us, but first and foremost you must be a team player willing to learn.
Depending on your background and aspirations our aim is that our interns leave us at the end of their placement with:
- A mix of design experience and hands-on practical skills that can be difficult to gain at university.
- An understanding of what it takes to build a start up company in the space industry
- A willingness to embrace innovation that will inspire you to go on and make your mark in the space sector.
For the right candidate this could be seen as an extended job interview with the opportunity to join Orbex in a permanent role in the future.
The internship is expected to cover 10 months (as an accredited sandwich year) and is suitable for undergraduates in either their second or third year at university. We anticipate taking 2 interns, giving them exposure to different departments in the company based on need, aptitude and individual preference of the candidate. Working with a supportive team and under the supervision of our Heads of Department, you will work on a number of projects during the internship, in one or more of our technical departments, (propulsion, structures, avionics and software development). Candidates coming from a business background will work with our finance, marketing and commercial teams at our HQ in Scotland.
Some examples of the projects you may get involved in include:
- Design and production of composite components
- Propulsion systems testing
- Additive manufacturing
- Ground segment component design
- Satellite interface design
- Avionics production
- Sensor testing and integration
- Business / financial work
- Marketing and outreach
You will ideally be studying in 2nd or 3rd year for an aerospace degree (or other relevant degree with a proven interest in aerospace application) on a recognized programme, or able to demonstrate significant experience in the area. We are also interested to hear from candidates studying business with an interest in the aerospace sector.
To help us get this right, when you apply tell us which kind of area interests you - avionics, structures, propulsion, mechanisms, GNC, ground segment, business development - and explain why you are best suited to that area.
CV’s are fine but visual materials are more helpful, so send us images of you with the rockets you have worked on, doing composite layups, soldering SMT chips to board, uploading GNC software to the flight computer. If you have a YouTube / Vimeo channel of your projects, we would be interested to see that too.
Orbex is a fast-moving company with a lot going on every single day. We are looking for colleagues who work hard, deliver reliably and put the team above themselves. You will hit the ground running, so we look for self-starters who can figure things out quickly. We will help you, but you have to show you have initiative.
Typically for the Intern role you will be:
- Willing to learn and adapt to new situations
- Academically proficient
- Able to translate theory into practice
- Flexible, dedicated, trustworthy
- Adventurous and team-oriented
- Demonstrable enthusiasm for the launch sector (e.g. participation in space launch degree/course, or participation in a rocketry club)
- Willingness to be located in Forres, Scotland for the duration of the internship, with occasional business travel to Copenhagen as required.
- You must be a UK/European citizen, from a country that is a signatory to the MTCR convention. You may be required to undergo security screening.
- Strong English language skills
Preferred Additional Requirements:
- Specific demonstrable skills in one or more of Orbex’s core technical areas (propulsion, structures, avionics, software development).
- Interest in the commercial development of the micro-launch sector
- CAD experience with SolidWorks (ideally in relation to aerospace)
- For software roles, demonstrable C / C++ experience (ideally in relation to aerospace)
Other Jobs at Space Placements in INdustry scheme (SPIN)
- Influence of Satellite Mass Property Variation on Dynamics & Control - Astroscale, Harwell
- SPIN - EO data-derived platform development for exploration of Scottish fires at Omanos Analytics, Remote
- SPIN - Space Industry Analysis at Bryce Space and Technology Limited, Remote/Harwell/London
- SPIN: A space-data platform to analyse converging climate and environmental stressors at Earth Blox, Remote
- SPIN: Hardware and Software System Development for Single-Event Effects Testing at Radtest Ltd, Harwell