Software Engineer - Satellite Operations
Direct Entry Job Permanent Colorado, USA
Uploaded 12 May 2021
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
At Spire, the Space Operations Software team is responsible for preparing for this growth using software to automate mission management, improve telemetry monitoring, monitor ground station activity, and provide the tools needed to analyze constellation performance.
Responsibilities of your role:
As a Space Operations Software Engineer, you will be working with a small team in an agile environment. You will be working on systems and tools that improve the efficiency of the satellite fleet. Some specific areas include:
- Build applications for monitoring ground station and satellite status and control satellite operations.
- Develop software to provide automatic fault detection, isolation, and recovery operations for the spacecraft.
- Increase operational efficiency by identifying areas to automate and improve upon mission-critical systems.
- Automate and manage build, test, and deployment processes leveraging CI/CD.
Candidates should have experience implementing systems using Python, including integrating with a diverse set of data stores and cloud services. They will need to interface with the satellite operations and ground station teams to adapt user needs into system requirements and have the experience to collaborate and iterate on the resultant projects.
Basic Qualifications / Experience:
- 3+ years professional experience writing web backend
- Familiarity with Linux, including Bash scripting and basic system administration
- Proficiency developing and deploying containers for development and production environments
Strong candidates will also possess skills in one or more of the following areas:
- 5+ years experience with system and web application development using Python
- Familiarity with data backends like S3, RDS, Postgres, Redis, MongoDB, and Elasticsearch
- Familiarity with Infrastructure as Code tools such as Terraform and Ansible
- Understanding of application availability, reliability, scalability, and security concepts and technologies
- Experience with AWS services and/or Kubernetes orchestration
- Experience implementing monitoring and alerting systems using tools like Grafana, Prometheus, or Nagios
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.