Ground Segment Engineer in the Telecom Systems & Techniques Section, Radio Frequency Systems Division, Electrical Department, Directorate of Technology, Engineering & Quality.
You will be assigned for a period of three years as integrated support to the function of Ground Segment Engineer in the Ground Segment Section, Technologies & Products Division, Telecom Technologies, Product & Systems Department, Directorate of Telecommunications & Integrated Applications.
You will be reporting to the Head of Section and will be responsible for managing activities related to telecommunications ground and user segment technology and products. Your tasks and responsibilities will include:
- initiating, monitoring and controlling, in collaboration with the Procurement Department, the Strategic Programme Line managers and other relevant departments of ESA, of ARTES Core Competitiveness (CC) and other ARTES Programme line activities related to Ground Segment technology and product development for satellite communications;
- supporting activities of other ARTES Programme Elements and the creation/implementation of partnership projects;
- reporting regularly on the progress, status, schedule and outcome of ARTES activities, including realistic forecasting of milestone completion dates;
- identifying and defining ground segment product and technology needs for future satellite communication services;
- supporting the promotion of ARTES CC and ARTES socioeconomic impact analysis;
- coordinating expert technical support provided by other ESA organisational units (e.g. Directorate of Operations, Directorate of Technology, Engineering and Quality), as required, to ensure effective initiation and management of activities;
- participating in periodic meetings with the parent Section, contributing to the transfer of technical knowledge and lessons learned across the Agency.
Experience in managing ground segment technology and product development activities carried out by industry for commercial satellite communication applications
Knowledge of ESA and industrial development, verification and procurement processes
Knowledge of satcom ground segment system architectures, products and market
Knowledge of modem, security and safety, antenna, cloud, artificial intelligence solutions applicable to satcom systems and solutions is an asset
A Master's degree in an engineering discipline is required.
Experience in ground and user segment technology and equipment, subsystem design and development is required.
Direct experience of working with a commercial telecommunications operator and European industry as well as an in-depth understanding of operating within a European agency framework would be distinct advantages.
You should also demonstrate strong negotiation skills and have contract/subcontract management experience.