Salary: IRO £21-30,000 dependent on experience
Term: 2 year fixed with view to make permanent
Start Date: 6th September 2021 or earlier
Craft Prospect is looking to expand its team. We are looking for a passionate physicist or engineer to support us to realise space projects from concept to delivery. The initial focus of work will be working on the hands-on delivery of a quantum optical communication payload and related ground systems for our upcoming quantum communication mission.
The company seeks to develop a diverse and inclusive team and encourages applications from all backgrounds. In recognition that different groups may respond to job specifications differently and that our developing talent pool can come from all quarters, we seek to minimise the number of prerequisites in any role and rather recruit for attitude and ability to positively contribute to our small but growing team and our work
- Design and integration of optomechanical systems
- Set-up and undertaking of optical assembly and testing
- Development of in-house capabilities for optical communications
- Integration and testing of optical payload and quantum components
- Supporting the design and delivery of new products
- Hands-on build and testing of quantum optical systems Generation of design and test documentation
Craft Prospect is a young engineer-led company in its fifth year having consistently doubled turnover and headcount every year, picking up a number of awards and recognitions along the way. We are looking for those able to work within a team leading projects and developing future space mission concepts to make a positive impact. Our diverse team includes former leads of national space missions, experienced industry professionals, and designers of Mars rovers. We want to develop our employees to become stakeholders within the organisation through employee ownership.
You will be given the opportunity to support the ongoing development of the company through other activities such as outreach, business development, marketing, and input into company culture. We will work with you to support your ongoing career aspirations and help you discover a long-term role within the company.
Expected Grade: Associate | Research Associate
(0-3 years industrial experience anticipated)
The company would additionally welcome equivalent applications from graduates with experience of getting hands-on with optomechanical systems.
- 4 day week option at 80% FTE (Tu-Fr)
- Up to 16% pension (matched salary sacrifice)
- Wellbeing and personal development budget
- Tailored training both internal and external
- Yearly team strategy and away days
- Employee share ownership scheme
Location: Glasgow, UK
Note: although COVID means some of the work may be performed remotely, it is highly likely work within the company office will be required from the outset given the hands-on nature of the role.
Applying: Applicants should email a cover letter and CV to [email protected], using reference 21-01036.
Closing date: An initial closing date of 30th July 2021 is planned, however this may vary depending on the applicants and go live dates, so our recommendation would be to apply early.
- Hands-on experience designing, assembling and testing optical systems
- Understanding or interest in quantum optics and communications
- Hands-on experience of (quantum) optics and laser systems
- Experience with performance testing of quantum optical systems
- Knowledge of secure telecommunications and networks
- Knowledge of general quantum technologies
- Knowledge of optical systems for space Knowledge of CubeSat or small satellite systems
- Ability and initiative to work autonomously
- Strong communication skills
- Desire to work in SME environment and positively contribute to culture