Vacancy in the Directorate of Telecommunications and Integrated Applications.
ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive working environment. For this purpose, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, beliefs, age, disability or other characteristics. Applications from women are encouraged.
This post is classified A2-A4 on the Coordinated Organisations’ salary scale.
ECSAT, Harwell, United Kingdom or ESTEC, Noordwijk, Netherlands.
Ground Segment Engineer in the Telecom Systems & Techniques Section, Radio Frequency Systems Division, Electrical Department, Directorate of Technology, Engineering & Quality.
You will be assigned for a period of three years as integrated support to the function of Ground Segment Engineer in the Ground Segment Section, Technologies & Products Division, Telecom Technologies, Product & Systems Department, Directorate of Telecommunications & Integrated Applications.
You will be reporting to the Head of Section and will be responsible for managing activities related to telecommunications ground and user segment technology and products. Your tasks and responsibilities will include:
- initiating, monitoring and controlling, in collaboration with the Procurement Department, the Strategic Programme Line managers and other relevant departments of ESA, of ARTES Core Competitiveness (CC) and other ARTES Programme line activities related to Ground Segment technology and product development for satellite communications;
- supporting activities of other ARTES Programme Elements and the creation/implementation of partnership projects;
- reporting regularly on the progress, status, schedule and outcome of ARTES activities, including realistic forecasting of milestone completion dates;
- identifying and defining ground segment product and technology needs for future satellite communication services;
- supporting the promotion of ARTES CC and ARTES socioeconomic impact analysis;
- coordinating expert technical support provided by other ESA organisational units (e.g. Directorate of Operations, Directorate of Technology, Engineering and Quality), as required, to ensure effective initiation and management of activities;
- participating in periodic meetings with the parent Section, contributing to the transfer of technical knowledge and lessons learned across the Agency.
- Experience in managing ground segment technology and product development activities carried out by industry for commercial satellite communication applications
- Knowledge of ESA and industrial development, verification and procurement processes
- Knowledge of satcom ground segment system architectures, products and market
- Knowledge of modem, security and safety, antenna, cloud, artificial intelligence solutions applicable to satcom systems and solutions is an asset
A Master's degree in an engineering discipline is required.
For behavioural competencies expected from ESA staff in general, please refer to the ESA Competency Framework.
The working languages of the Agency are English and French. A good knowledge of one of these is required. Knowledge of another Member State language would be an asset.
The Agency may require applicants to undergo selection tests.
At the Agency we value diversity and we welcome people with disabilities. Whenever possible, we seek to accommodate individuals with disabilities by providing the necessary support at the workplace. The Human Resources Department can also provide assistance during the recruitment process. If you would like to discuss this further please contact us email [email protected].
Please note that applications are only considered from nationals of one of the following States: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Canada, Latvia, Lithuania and Slovenia.
According to the ESA Convention the recruitment of staff must take into account an adequate distribution of posts among nationals of the ESA Member States. When short-listing for an interview, priority will first be given to internal candidates and secondly to external candidates from under-represented Member States. (https://esamultimedia.esa.int/docs/careers/NationalityTargets.pdf)
In accordance with the European Space Agency’s security procedures and as part of the selection process, successful candidates will be required to undergo basic screening before appointment.
Recruitment will normally be at the first grade in the band (A2); however, if the candidate selected has little or no experience, the position may be filled at A1 level.
Experience in ground and user segment technology and equipment, subsystem design and development is required
Direct experience of working with a commercial telecommunications operator and European industry as well as an in-depth understanding of operating within a European agency framework would be distinct advantages.
You should also demonstrate strong negotiation skills and have contract/subcontract management experience.