Space Business Development Graduate
Graduate Position 2 years Guildford, UK
Uploaded 15 Aug 2021
Overview of Role
An exceptional opportunity for a highly motivated engineering graduate to develop their understanding of the business side of the space sector, contribute to the development of the lunar economy, and rapidly develop their profile working through regular exposure to a number of high profile space companies.
Assisting the SSTL Lunar team and high profiles partner companies, to establish business models and associated partnership organisation, capable of offering off-planet communication and navigation services.
Role to include, but not limited to:
- Supporting the Lunar team’s awareness of the lunar market environment through research (lunar market activities, competitive technologies, companies within the consortium and in the competitive team). Reporting regularly to the Lunar Management team to outline potential threats and opportunities for technology and business development.
- Developing a good understanding of the user needs (lunar mission) by supporting engagement with potential customers, research and analysis of their requirements
- Developing an awareness of related studies and activities performed by our partners, ESA and NASA (e.g. related ESA studies, related NASA studies, related technology development)
- Supporting the preparation of each of the Business/Partnership workshops (organisation (date, logistics), production of material, pre-discussions with the business partners, preliminary analysis and homework preparation for the partners)
- Supporting the facilitation of the Business/Partnership workshops, interacting with senior managers (CEO, Head of Business development, from our partner companies), using several types of techniques to facilitate meetings
- Recording progress and contributing to writing the Phase A/B1 study deliverables for WS1
- Supporting progress reviews with ESA and generation of inputs for those progress reviews
- Collaborating with engineering to handle the traffic modelling tool and generate demand prediction, which will, in turn, feed the business case
- Preparation of the final reports/bid – including providing support to the Business Manager in preparing JV discussions, raising funding from venture capitalists and banks, supporting RMC processes, discussing with National delegations and ESA etc.
- Assisting with preparation of material for conferences and panels
Familiarity with the space sector, more specifically with space exploration, desired/advantageous
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills
- A relevant Bachelor’s or Master’s degree (or suitable equivalent) in Engineering
- Good team working skills, together with the ability to interface with others at all levels (externally & internally)
- Possesses and applies a broad knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures of particular field of specialisation to the completion of difficult assignments.
- Able to develop good working relationships with key people in the business
- Excellent Inter-personal and communication skills, able to influence and persuade
- Flexible and able to multi-task; managing a number of different issues simultaneously
- Proven ability to deliver under pressure and to tight timescales
- Flexible and adaptable to changing priorities
- Pro-active and able to take initiative
- Results orientated, can-do approach with a strong drive to deliver
- High degree of organisation, self-motivation and initiative
- Decision making and problem solving skills
- Able to work autonomously
- Good knowledge of MS Office Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Able to demonstrate company mindsets; accountability, one team, customers and projects rule and audacity.