As the UK’s national student space society, we support students and young professionals across the country by running events, providing resources, and teaching new skills. Joining UKSEDS is the best way to get involved in the space sector as a student. You’ll gain all sorts of skills and experience, and have the chance to work with lots of space organisations and members of the community. Most importantly, you’ll get to work with other like-minded students to achieve something incredible, and have fun while you do!
As part of the newly established operations team, you’ll find yourself acting as an intermediary between the executive committee and other UKSEDS volunteers. As operations manager, you will oversee how the organisation runs. We have several teams (careers, outreach, diversity, competitions, events, marketing, systems, and membership), each with their own processes, team structures, and goals. You will have a top-down view of the organisation, verifying the day-to-day operations are working efficiently and keeping track of any resources teams may need.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring working processes are established and followed across the organisation
- Ensuring each team has a set of SMART goals for the year ahead, which will be reviewed at milestone dates throughout the year
- Assisting teams in keeping track of their resources (including incorporating contingency plans when volunteers are busy with exams/life)
- Coordinating between the treasurer and the teams for any resources/prizes that need to be allocated and purchased
Applications will close on 19th September 2021. Following that, there will be one round of interviews on Google Meet with shortlisted applicants, with other interview methods available if you require them.
Volunteering with us
UKSEDS is run by 100+ volunteers from all across the UK. None of us are paid, but we all want to make a difference. We work remotely, communicating through Slack and holding online meetings on Google Meet. For this role, you will be expected to dedicate around 8-10 hours per week. Alongside working, there are opportunities to chat informally with other volunteers and join online social events.
Diversity and inclusion
Our aims to educate and develop young people contribute to our vision of a growing and diverse workforce in the UK space sector. Everyone brings their own unique viewpoint and ideas to our team which enables us to work towards this vision together. When you’re working with us, we’re keen to ensure you’re comfortable by facilitating any extra measures you might need, and to provide you with opportunity after opportunity to develop yourself.
We’re looking for someone who is comfortable working remotely, is highly motivated, and works well in a team environment. Working with UKSEDS should be something that you enjoy doing. We don’t need you to be studying a STEM degree, all you need is an interest in space!
If at any point, for any reason, you can’t do the role, that’s fine. We are students too, and we appreciate that exams, deadlines, and life often get in the way of volunteer roles like these. We will work with you to deal with these issues.
- Excellent interpersonal, organisational, and time-keeping skills
- Great verbal and written communication skills (English)
- Previous experience working as part of/leading teams
- Comfortable with working remotely
- Be a member of UKSEDS (it is free - ukseds.org/join) [To be eligible to volunteer you must be over 18 and be studying or working at a UK-based institution or have been in the last 3 years]
- Previous project management/operations experience
- Confident working with large groups
- Confident with GSuite, especially Google Sheets/Microsoft Excel