Stores and Logistics Controller
Direct Entry Job Permanent Harwell Campus, Oxfordshire, UK
Uploaded 6 Sep 2021
If you have previous experience in mechanical or electrical assembly lines and have worked within a manufacturing environment this could be the role for you!
We have an exciting opportunity within RAL Space (part of STFC) for someone to join us as a Stores and Logistics Controller, where you will be performing stock keeping, goods receiving, packing and shipping activities for RAL Space. You will also be responsible for incoming inspections of project parts and assemblies.
About the Role:
- As stores operative you will be required to perform all goods receiving, stock keeping, picking, packing and shipping activities
- Responsible for incoming inspections of project parts and assemblies
- Generating and updating part traveller cards
- Working directly with the projects managers and engineers to ensure they receive their parts in a timely manner
- Processing all goods received into the computerised stock system
- Manually moving stock and ensuring it is documented to the location within the stores
- Liaising with other groups and departments to ensure safe movement and storage of packing cases or MGSE
- Use of forklifts and lifting equipment for the loading and unloading of project parts/ assemblies
- Maintaining safety standards and related quality assurance activities
- Provide hands on support to projects for various tasks
- Organisation of the disposal of Project items and packaging.
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe’s largest multi-disciplinary science research organisations.
Our RAL Space department is the UK’s national space laboratory and has around 350 staff. Our activities and our facilities enable scientific research in disciplines such as climate science, space weather and astronomy. With over 50 years of experience in space programmes, we have had significant involvement in more than 210 instruments on missions to date.
We are offering a permanent position that provides a whole host of family friendly benefits including;30 days holiday (in addition to bank holidays), an excellent defined average salary pension scheme, employee shopping/travel discounts, a salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, plus many more benefits and wellbeing initiatives that enable our employees to have a great work life balance.
UKRI is an Equal Opportunity & Disability Confident Employer.
Essential Skills & Experience Required:
- Knowledge of MS Excel and Data based software packages
- Experience working within in a manufacturing environment and safety regulations
- Mechanical or Electrical Assembly skills
- Ability to understand Mechanical drawings
- Experience using basic metrology equipment
- Good communication and organisation skills, as you will deal directly face to face with the customer
- Ability to work on your own and in a team.
Desirable Skills and Experience Required:
- Previous experience in a similar stock control, stores warehouse operative or stock controller role would be an advantage
- Previous experience of working on stock management systems would be an advantage
- Forklift truck / crane license would be an advantage but not essential as long as you have a willingness to learn if necessary.
Main duties of the role would include:
• Incoming inspections of project parts and assemblies
• Generating and updating part traveler cards
• Working directly with the project managers and engineers to ensure they receive their parts in a timely manner
• Processing all goods receiving into the computerised stock system
• Manually moving stock and ensuring it is documented to the location within the stores
• Liaising with other groups and departments to ensure safe movement and storage of packing cases or Mechanical Ground Support Equipment (MGSE).
Using forklifts and lifting equipment will also be part of the role when loading and unloading project parts and assemblies, however training will be provided for this if required.