Orbex is looking for an experienced Lead Propulsion Engineer to take responsibility for the technical and project leadership pertaining to propulsion systems, fluid control systems or major subsystems on our launch vehicle as well as associated ground test benches and GSE.
The Lead Propulsion Engineer supports and develops the team, leads technical delivery and also provides operational support to development and qualification test campaigns ranging from test plan/procedure definition, to test execution and data analysis. Additionally you will work in close, continuous collaboration with other members of the senior leadership team to develop strategy and ensure delivery.
Orbex is Europe's most exciting space company. You will be joining a team developing one of the most innovative, high-tech orbital space launch vehicles in the world, and you'll have the chance to earn an ownership stake in the company.
We are a highly motivated and focused team, and we are looking for colleagues who share our vision of creating Europe's first fully private space access company.
We are looking for team members who will fit in immediately and hit the ground running.
Core duties and responsibilities of the Lead Propulsion Engineer role include:
• Being the responsible engineer for a propulsion system or major subsystem, with the goal of delivering complete systems/subsystems in accordance with the development programme plan and specific workstreams.
• Contribute strategically and operationally to the development programme plan as well as day to day leadership activities.
• Using high level requirements to establish propulsion systems designs from conceptual level through to detailed designs. This includes establishing and modelling rocket engine cycle designs.
• Producing propulsion systems analytical/numerical models to be integrated with launch vehicle FES.
• Conduct part and component level make vs. buy trades.
• Working with in-house and external production teams to design, produce and integrate flight grade propulsion hardware.
• Working with in-house teams to facilitate propulsion development test campaigns and qualification testing.
• Producing and maintaining system/subsystem design documentation.
• Compiling design review data packages and deliverables production for grant programmes.
This role is based in Copenhagen at Orbex’s Danish propulsion engineering and manufacturing site.
You will be spending time both at the factory and our nearby rocket engine testing site, with occasional travel to our main factory, test and launch sites in Scotland.
Qualifications and Experience
• Minimum of a Masters degree in aerospace engineering or a related field
• Bi-prop rocket engine propulsion experience, high and low pressure cycle systems preferable
• Prior experience with Liquid Oxygen fluid systems that you can leverage, hereunder cryogenic propellants, materials compatibility and sealing technology
• Turbo-machinery operations knowledge and cryogenic experience preferable
• Designs for cryogenic fluids, including liquid oxygen.
• Fluid system design software experience, preferably EcosimPro
• CAD / CFD experience, Solidworks / Ansys preferred
• Bi-prop/turbo-machinery ground testing and qualification including ground support equipment and test facility design
• Strong proven knowledge of manufacturing techniques commonly applied in rocket propulsion technology, specific emphasis on additive manufacturing desired.
You will probably have these core attributes:
• Extensive years of rocket engine, fluid systems and/or turbo-machinery hardware development experience
• Fluency in use of CAD / CFD techniques to model and analyse fluid systems.
• Numerical analysis tool (eg. Matlab/Simulink) proficiency.
• Proven aptitude for core engineering disciplines such as thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, heat transfer, structural analysis etc.
• Team lead and/or project management experience
• Strong communication skills in both written and spoken English
You will have:
• A self-starter mentality with good leadership qualities
• A flexible and dedicated mindset