Firmware Tester (Communication Systems)
Direct Entry Job Permanent Forres, Morrayshire, UK
Uploaded 15 Sep 2021
Orbex is Europe's most exciting space company. You will be joining a team developing one of the most innovative, high-tech orbital space launch vehicles in the world, and you'll have the chance to earn an ownership stake in the company.
We are a highly motivated and focused team, and we are looking for colleagues who share our vision of creating Europe's first fully private space access company.
We are looking for team members who will fit in immediately and hit the ground running. The role provides and excellent opportunity to be a part of the fast-developing UK Space Industry. This is a unique opportunity to participate in work needed for a the Ground Segment of a Space Launch Vehicle, working as part of a larger team of hardware designers, RF engineers, software architects, developers and testers who all aim at creating high quality solution that will be used in spaceflight.
Orbex is looking for an experienced Firmware Tester for our on board and ground segment communication systems.
We expect to offer significant training and development in this role but require candidates to have strong foundations in Embedded C/C++, Python and Software testing.
The intention is for the Firmware Tester to be very hands on, working close to the code and alongside our technical specialists in RF design and SDR programming (VHDL). The role will require an in depth understanding of software testing as well as significant responsibility for writing test cases and documentation.
The position includes all parts of a traditional software tester’s tasks list. In collaboration with hardware teams (RF & Avionics) and software (Embedded development, Ground segment and SDR programming):
• Writing the software integration test specifications needed to qualify the software.
• Making sure all requirements are tracked and documented.
• Executing the software tests.
• Documenting all aspects of the tests.
• Offering advice on solutions to problems.
This role is based in Forres at Orbex’s headquarters.
Orbex Forres is located at the foot of the Scottish Highlands, near Inverness. It's close to the spectacular coastline, wild beaches and amazing wildlife of the Moray Firth, as well as being a short distance from the world famous Loch Ness, and Aviemore ski resort.
For the right candidate we offer an excellent benefits package that includes:-
• Competitive salary of £28-43K depending on experience
• An equity stake in the company
• Relocation assistance where appropriate
• Company Cycle to Work scheme
Visa Sponsorship is available for this role.
Qualifications and Experience
- Software Engineering or similar education.
- Experience as a Software Tester with focus on embedded software.
- Experience in C programming.
- Experience writing test scripts in python.
- Good understanding of Protocols – We primarily use UDP but TCP, RS432 etc would be relevant.
- Linux platform Experience
- Any exposure to VHDL would be beneficial
- Any experience of RF setups, RF testing, Hardware experience or Comms signals experience.
- Experience of specialist test equipment such as Instrumentation, Oscilloscopes, logic analysers or Spectrum Analysers.