About The Role
We are looking for an enthusiastic astronomer to join our team working on the development of the Square Kilometre Array Observatory (SKAO). Construction of the SKAO will start later this year and, when complete, it will be the world’s most sensitive radio telescope. Your role will be as a Product Owner in the development and delivery of the SKAO Observatory Science Operations tools. You will bring significant scientific experience in observational astronomy. In joining our local team and international partners, you will shape the ways in which the SKAO will be used and steer development of the required software.
You will also contribute more broadly to the scientific activities at the UKATC, including development of future projects and investigating applications of our technologies to other fields.
You will be expected to pursue your own research programme in an area reflecting the science priorities of projects in development at the UKATC.
The criteria below will be assessed at Shortlisting (S), Interview (I), or both (S&I).
- PhD in Astronomy (or related field) and postdoctoral-level experience (S)
- Proven ability to work collaboratively and build consensus within a team (S&I)
- Excellent communication (written and spoken), organisational and presentational skills, engaging with a wide and diverse range of stakeholders (S&I)
- Good working knowledge of observatory operations (S&I)
- Strong track record of published research in astronomy and/or astronomical instrumentation (S)
- Demonstrated excellence and peer recognition in your research field. (S&I)
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for public engagement and outreach (S)
- Experience of observations with major international facilities (S)
- Proficiency with astronomical software (S)
- Time and resource management skills, and demonstrated ability to direct the work of others (I)
- Experience with optical/near-IR observations and instrumentation (S)
- Experience with interferometric techniques in the far-IR and/or radio. (S)
We are offering a permanent position that provides a whole host of benefits including; 30 days holiday (in addition to bank holidays), an excellent pension scheme, employee shopping/travel discounts, a salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, plus many more benefits and wellbeing initiatives that enable our employees to have a great work life balance! Within this post there will be opportunities for professional development courses, both through STFC and support of other training that will help your career development.
We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. We are invested in creating an environment that is welcoming and supportive of all, to help us achieve the highest possible standards in our work and organisation together. In this regard, we encourage applications from under-represented groups.
How to apply:
For full details of this post please visit our job board.
In your application please provide a statement of research interests and future
plans, a CV, full publication list, and the names of two potential referees.
Closing Date: 30th October 2021
Other Jobs at STFC UK ATC
No jobs currently available.