Development Engineer – Space Energy
Direct Entry Job Permanent Harwell, UK
Uploaded 25 Sep 2021
Satellite Applications Catapult have the opportunity for a Development Engineer to get involved in a new Space Energy initiative. The team will support UK industry and academia to investigate, develop and implement both Space Based Solar Power (an aim to establish a first orbital demonstrator by 2030, with an operational system delivering to the grid by 2040) and high energy density power sources and the surrounding subsystems for space-based applications.
This is a new discipline and therefore needs a diverse and inclusive team with a broad range of skills and experience and could include, but not limited to, engineering management, systems engineering, energy systems (including nuclear), power management, space systems, technology road-mapping, component and systems design, NDT and in situ health monitoring, design of experiments, manufacturing and joining, additive manufacture, synthesis of materials, insulators and superconductors, thermal and structural design and analysis. This includes assessment of existing components as well as future designs.
The purpose of the Catapult is to support UK industry by accelerating the growth of satellite applications and to contribute to capturing a 10% share of the global space market predicted by 2030. We focus on three themes across our targeted market areas:
- Energising the Market - We unlock customer demand and open new markets to the space sector.
- Empowering the Technology – We help companies bring their product or service to market.
- Enabling Business – We connect businesses of all sizes with the resources they need to grow.
- Undertake and support research and design projects for the development of novel space and space energy applications
- Help develop new engineering project/programmes and create consortiums and networks
- Highlight funding and create proposals, linking technologies and organisations to develop holistic solutions while identifying value and benefit for stakeholders and UK growth.
- Drive projects that may cover low Technology Readiness Level concepts through Commercial-off-the-shelf products, to life extension of components/installations.
- Help provide technical support to projects run by other Groups and Departments and collaborate with other organisations
- Develop consortium and networks to develop space energy as well as developing proposals and funding opportunities (working with the Bids Team)
- Represent the Satellite Applications Catapult on an international forum, participate in conferences and meetings both in the UK and overseas
Skills & Experience required:
- Degree or higher in engineering, physics, chemistry, technology or similar science
- Highly self-motivated and demonstrates initiative
- Demonstrated experience in implementation of specialist science/ engineering skills in R&D programmes
- Background or experience of multi-disciplinary R&D programmes
- Demonstrable ability to manage R&D work packages
- Good verbal and written communication and diplomatic skill
- Knowledge of energy generation in harsh environment desirable
- Knowledge of space sector desirable
- Knowledge and experience of preparing research proposals and/or project planning
- Experience of developing complex experiments and testing equipment
- Experience of overseeing technicians, junior staff and/or students preferred
- Possession or significant progress towards accreditation with a professional body (e.g. CEng) preferred
- Understanding of governance, H&S and compliance issues Space Sector knowledge
Other Jobs at Satellite Applications Catapult
No jobs currently available.