Spacecraft Dynamic Testing Industrial Placement
Internship 1 year Didcot, UK
Uploaded 7 Oct 2021
Summary of Key Duties & Responsibilities
Working within the Dynamics group of the Environmental Test Division at RAL Space, this placement involves supporting the team and assisting with vibration and pyroshock testing campaigns of spacecraft equipment for both internal and external customers, including the setup of equipment and test items. Duties could include being part of a small group to set up test rigs for testing and operate its software for data capture and analysis, working alongside customers to meet their requirements for the test, and providing them with useful, relevant test data and information.
This placement will join the team in an exciting transition - the commissioning process for the new National Satellite Test Facility, and can contribute to the preparation of the large vibration and acoustic testing facilities for the first large satellite tests. Throughout the placement, a growing understanding of spacecraft dynamic testing will allow the successful candidate to work on some more independent projects such as micro-vibration work or development of shock test techniques.
Are you enthusiastic and highly motivated? Working well in a team as well as working independently and a strong interest in physical testing of spacecraft structural response is essential.
Other duties involved include:
- Assisting other test engineers in preparing and carrying out vibration tests
- Operating analysis equipment and software for capturing and processing data
- Developing analysis and test methods to improve the breadth or understanding of test operations
In order to apply for this role you must have:
- At university, enrolled on an undergraduate degree course and required or have requested to take a year out of studies to gain experience within industry
- Right to live and work in the UK
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Aptitude for working and communicating effectively within a small team
- Good hands on experimental and mechanical skills, experience or demonstrated aptitude
- An aptitude for working in a highly organised environment procedures must be followed and documented actions
- An understanding of dynamics of structures including the effects of frequency and damping