Direct Entry Job Permanent London/Remote, UK
Uploaded 18 Oct 2021
BSSL is recruiting for a software engineer to join our engineering team. The successful applicant will work with our engineering and science teams to analyse, refine and simulate the performance of the Twinkle mission and have the opportunity to interact with world-leading industry and scientists. Applications should be sent to [email protected].
Blue Skies Space Ltd (BSSL) is seeking to fill the position of “Software Engineer” as part of the Twinkle Space Mission preparation.
The successful candidate will work in close collaboration BSSL’s Lead Systems Engineer and Twinkle Project Scientist to use and develop data analysis and instrument performance pipelines to assess the mission capabilities to fulfil its science objectives. The role will require supporting the interfacing with scientists and industrial partners to refine and improve the data pipeline’s accuracy and to produce simulations. The Software Engineer will be responsible for the development and use of the pipeline tool, reporting to and with the lead systems engineer.
The successful applicant will have an MSc in Physics, Engineering, Computer Science or related research area. Candidates will be expected to have a working knowledge of a structured programming language, ideally python. Good experience in the performance analysis of infrared space instrumentation for exoplanet observations, including photometric and spectroscopic data, would be ideal.
- Experienced Python coder.
- Experience in highly numerical programming or data reduction techniques.
- Good initiative and capable to perform solo working.
- Use data reduction pipelines for astronomy missions, such as ExoSim.
- Knowledge of infrared instrumentation.
- Knowledge of exoplanet transit spectroscopy.
- Applicants are encouraged to provide links to example code/code repository.