Head of the Market Analysis and Business Intelligence Section
Direct Entry Job Permanent Harwell, UK
Uploaded 21 Oct 2021
The Directorate of Telecommunications and Integrated Applications supports innovation to boost the competitiveness of European industry in the global space market. This involves a wide range of activities, from space-based technology, systems, and products for telecommunications development to the down-to-Earth application of space-based services, and entails engagement with a wide range of industrial, entrepreneurial and institutional partners.
The Strategy, Programme and Transformation Office provides support for implementation of the Directorate’s remit in programme development, business analysis and development, and in programme strategic communication and market intelligence. It works to strengthen the relationship with the EU and support new partnerships with the space and non-space sectors, new innovative multi-disciplinary activities, new strategic programme lines, and innovative public-private financing solutions. It is leading the transformation towards an increased socio-economic impact on Europe’s economy and society.
You will report to the Head of the Strategy, Programme and Transformation Office and be responsible for the analysis and business intelligence of markets and businesses relevant to connectivity and space solutions and for defining and implementing a related strategy to provide market guidance for the Directorate’s programme and business developments.
You will contribute to the drawing up of a market vision for the Directorate, and help promote and communicate TIA programme actions with market actors. You will also contribute to the further transformation of TIA programme action in response to the ongoing fundamental market changes of the 2020s.
- Maintaining, growing and operating a network for structured interactions, outreach, cooperation and support with all market and business key stakeholders across the ARTES Strategic Programme Lines, the Directorate of Telecommunications and Integrated Applications, ESA, industry, Member State agencies and national and European institutions;
- Growing the scope of the markets and businesses beyond the supply side and established space industries and satellite operators to increasingly also include terrestrial actors (e.g. mobile network operators) and potential future market actors (e.g. in transport, energy, industry and health);
- Leading the gathering of market and business data, including external resources, and providing advice in particular for NewSpace actors and in relation to start-up/scale-up and vertical markets beyond the space domain;
- Analysing trends, opportunities and threats, and market champions in a European context and as part of the global space economy, as well as developments in the USA, China, India and Russia;
- Developing regular reports on general market evolution and specific reports dedicated to market segments, including the verticalisation of markets and merging of space markets into the wider digital economy;
- Providing market and business information for the Directorate’s definition of programme and project proposals.
You and your team will be:
- Steering the market intelligence activity to ensure there is added-value information for monitoring of the market and business environment;
- Ensuring a harmonised, coordinated approach to TIA socio-economic impact studies for programme proposals and reporting on the studies to key stakeholders;
- Establishing a market observatory in coordination with Member State initiatives as required;
- Proposing and implementing market-specific preparatory studies for future strategic close-to-market programme lines;
- Organising market and business intelligence interaction with an extended ecosystem, including ESA Business Incubation Centres and venture capital actors, making increased use of round tables with leading market representatives;
- Developing and maintaining a dashboard with key market indicators, e.g. revenues, private investment, market segments, main trend indicators, and SWOT.
- Market Analysis and Business Intelligence in the European and international commercial space sector or digital
- Leading change
- Business and market intelligence and analysis
- Experience in opportunity management and/or investment schemes
- Experience in driving strategic engagement
- Experience with international business partnerships between space, telecom or media and vertical markets (e.g. transport, energy, health, government, security)
- Result Orientation
- Operational Efficiency
- Fostering Cooperation
- Relationship Management
- Continuous Improvement
- Forward Thinking
A Master’s degree in an engineering or scientific discipline is required for this post.
The deadline for this position has passed