About The Role
SSTL are looking for a dynamic and motivated Space Propulsion Engineer to contribute significantly to the delivery of current missions and work on exciting up and coming developments in gas, chemical and electric systems. The applicant should be happy working in a fast moving environment, learn quickly and be capable of both hands-on (hardware build and test) and computer-based (design, analysis, simulation) engineering tasks.
SSTL Propulsion Engineers are responsible for working as part of a team of engineers in the design, manufacture, testing, launch preparation and in-orbit commissioning of the propulsion systems. This holistic oversight is a rare opportunity for an Engineer who relishes variety and the combination of practical contact with hardware alongside analytical design work.
In addition to delivering commercial programmes, exciting development activity underway at SSTL includes design of novel propulsion systems, bi-propellant systems for beyond-Earth operation, additive layer manufacturing (3D printing) and low cost electric propulsion systems.
- Project scoping and delivery for propulsion systems
- Interface with customers for the propulsion system
- Initial and detailed system analysis and design
- Documenting and implementing design changes using Engineering Change Control
- Support equipment specification and supplier selection
- Write detailed assembly and test procedures
- Assembly and testing of the propulsion systems
- Support component / system acceptance testing, defining pressure / electrical test setups
- Supporting spacecraft level testing, launch campaigns and In-orbit commissioning of Propulsion systems
Skills & Experience
- Positive & Enthusiastic
- Flexible and able to work on a variety of projects/tasks
- Organised and decisive, high attention to detail
- Several years industry experience (ideally Space)
- Good all-round knowledge of rocket propulsion systems, with an understanding of the functionality of valves, regulators, actuators etc.
- Writing detailed reports and presenting to customers
- Good analytical skills with some experience of mathematical modelling / simulation software
- Hands-on engineering for hardware manufacture (build and test)
- Computer Aided Design (e.g. Solidworks) would be beneficial
- Other useful software such as Ansys, Labview, Matlab etc, would be beneficial
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite including Outlook, Excel, Word & Project [Essential]
Good Degree level in Mechanical / Aerospace Engineering
All application should be submitted online - https://www.sstl.co.uk/careers/early-career-opportunitiesth