Junior Earth Observation Data Scientist
Direct Entry Job Permanent Glasgow (or possibly Edinburgh), UK
Uploaded 15 Nov 2021
Earthwave is a data science start-up that uses remote sensing, big data computing, and artificial intelligence to focus on understanding, predicting and preventing the effects of climate change. Earthwave are part of multiple Europe-wide consortia, delivering scientific research and processing algorithms using a wide range of satellite data and ground-based sensors for monitoring global ice trends, visualising environmental changes, and making satellite data easily accessible and understandable. Earthwave’s novel approach to structuring spatial data allows fast slicing through space and time, facilitating ground-breaking big data solutions in the ever-evolving fields of Earth Observation, AI and 4D visualisation.
We are looking for a Junior Data Scientist with a scientific degree or equivalent to work on our Earth Observation projects. This will include scientific research, data analysis, algorithm design and data visualisation. You should have a keen interest in problem solving and the desire to challenge findings that enable continuous improvement.
An interest in Earth Observation and Spatial Analysis with Python knowledge is desirable and is ideal for someone looking for an opportunity to work on a wide range of projects. If you have an interest in spatial data visualisation and an eye for aesthetics, that is an added extra.
We’re a small but rapidly evolving company so you’ll get involved in all aspects of our projects including system design, data engineering, developing and writing algorithms, performing analysis and documentation/training. It’s exciting and rewarding work in which you can make a genuine impact to the company and the industry as a whole. The core responsibilities of the role are:
- Analysing and experimenting with satellite data sets, looking at ways to interpret and visualise the data (e.g. see https://dte-antarctica.org/)
- Contribute to Scientific Research on environments such as mountain glaciers and polar ice shelves, potentially being involved in Scientific publications
- Perform statistical analysis on our digital elevation products that have been developed for Antarctica, Greenland and mountain glacier regions, for example Alaska and the Himalayas. This is part of our CryoTEMPO-EOLIS project (https://cryotempo-eolis.org/ )
- Contribute to project documentation: e.g. our contracts with the European Space Agency require detailed specifications, user handbooks and test strategies
- Manage your workload timelines and understand project dependencies
- Get stuck in with a variety of work across the business where needed
- 0 – 3 years data science or technical business analysis experience
- Experience coding in Python as well as software engineering fundamentals
- Either experience or a strong interest in working with satellite and Earth Observation datasets (or similar data sets)
- Experience with applied statistics and quantitative modelling
- Creative, curious and committed with the ability to work independently
- Experience or a good eye for visualisations, such as animations, maps and videos
- Interest in presenting, storytelling and scientific outreach
Do you have any other skills you’d like us to know about? We are a small company and are therefore always welcome new expertise.
What does it mean to work with us?
- We are a small but growing team with a range of different backgrounds really enjoying the challenge of running a small business in the space sector. This is an exciting time to join us, since you’ll help to shape the company of the future!
- We care about the environment and all our projects and services are focused on understanding, predicting and preventing the effects of climate change on our planet. If you think the same, you’ll enjoy to work with us!
- We believe a healthy work-life balance leads to a healthier business.
- Over the past 2 years we have mainly been working remotely, however we have office spaces in Glasgow and Edinburgh. Periodic travel will be required to team meetups and conferences.
- We are constantly exploring and discussing new scientific and commercial avenues as a team.
- We have fun working, since we really care about the work that we are doing.
To apply, please send us a CV and a Python script that tells us about your skills, motivation, history or experience. Feel free to be inventive.
Other Jobs at EarthWave
No jobs currently available.