Java Software Engineer
Direct Entry Job Permanent Edinburgh, Dundee, or Bristol, UK
Uploaded 18 Nov 2021
About Bright Ascension
We are a fast growing, innovative company changing the way that software is developed in the space industry. With customers across the world, ranging from universities and space agencies, to commercial organisations and start-ups, our core technologies enable our customers to develop and operate space-based systems and services faster, cheaper and more reliably. Innovation is at the heart of what we do and it is our team which drives that innovation; this is reflected in our commitment to employee ownership, which gives all of us a voice, and a stake, in our current and future success. With offices in Dundee, Edinburgh and Bristol we now have over 30 members of staff and plans to expend to a team of around 50 over the next 12 months. We are at a very exciting time in our ambitious growth plans and have fantastic opportunities for talented individuals to join our team.
We are looking for an experienced and motivated Java Software Engineer to join our team developing the next generation of spacecraft ground software and software tools.
As a key member of our team you would be responsible for helping developing elements of our spacecraft ground control software suite but also there are opportunities for working with other aspects of our growing product range supporting simulation, test automation and model-based tooling. The primary implementation language is Java, although a working knowledge of Python and/or other scripting languages would be useful as these are also used in our tooling.
We see this role as being full time, although this is negotiable. Ideally we would like this role to be based in either Dundee or Edinburgh, to allow for regular interaction with the teams responsible for product management, business development, sales and marketing.
Essential skills and experience
We see experience with the following as essential to the job:
- good Java skills, ideally demonstrated in a commercial environment;
- development and debugging of high quality code and adherence to best coding practices;
- experience with Java application development;
- broad working experience, with a mixture of front-end and back-end with a variety of tools and technologies; and
- the ability to work in a Linux environment using a range of standard development tools.
We're especially looking for someone who:
- enjoys problems solving and balancing the pragmatic and practical with the abstract and elegant;
- works well both independently and in a team as part of a fast-paced technical environment;
- possess strong verbal and written communication skills, both for internal and external, customer facing, interactions;
- is diligent, creative, and attentive to details;
- wants to make a strong contribution to the business, financially but also in terms of team culture and values. You enjoy making an impact and shaping how businesses operates, and
- is consistently curious, is interested in learning new skills and is open to new ideas and ways of working.
Desirable skills and experience
We think that the following skills would definitely be valuable in this role:
- Knowledge of, or exposure to, space systems in either a commercial or academic context;
- experience in planning and executing all stages of software engineering, from design to documentation according to a specified development process;
- experience in performing requirements analysis and elicitation based on formal and informal inputs;
- experience of model-based and/or component-based software engineering;
- experience with
- databases, either RDBMS or NoSQL,
- Apache Maven, and
- Use of version control systems such as Mercurial and git.
To apply please send your CV along with a Cover Letter to [email protected]
Other Jobs at Bright Ascension
No jobs currently available.