Direct Entry Job Permanent Edinburgh, Dundee, or Bristol, UK
Uploaded 18 Nov 2021
About Bright Ascension
We are a fast growing, innovative company changing the way that software is developed in the space industry. With customers across the world, ranging from universities and space agencies, to commercial organisations and start-ups, our core technologies enable our customers to develop and operate space-based systems and services faster, cheaper and more reliably. Innovation is at the heart of what we do and it is our team which drives that innovation; this is reflected in our commitment to employee ownership, which gives all of us a voice, and a stake, in our current and future success. With offices in Dundee, Edinburgh and Bristol we now have over 30 members of staff and plans to expend to a team of around 50 over the next 12 months. We are at a very exciting time in our ambitious growth plans and have fantastic opportunities for talented individuals to join our team.
We are looking for an experienced and motivated Project Manager to take the lead in managing and coordinating both customer-driven and internal product development projects across the company.
As a key member of our team you would be responsible for working closely with project technical leads to manage projects, reporting both internally and directly to customers. This role will also be responsible for the coordination of projects, helping to ensure that other members of the team are able to work most effectively on the highest priority activities. Working in a small team of Project Managers, you will report into the Programme Manager.
Your project management expertise will also be invaluable in helping with planning for project delivery, including during the preparation of bids, tenders, and proposals.
We see this role as being full time, although this is negotiable. Ideally we would like this role to be based in either Dundee or Edinburgh, to allow for regular interaction with the teams responsible for product management, business development, sales and marketing.
Essential skills and experience
We see experience with the following as essential to the job:
- planning and managing all stages of a software engineering project, from design to documentation according to a specified development process and timeframe;
- working alongside technical leads to deliver an engineering project;
- maintaining and monitoring project plans, project schedules, work hours, budgets and expenditures;
- organising, coordinating/chairing and participating in meetings, both internal team meetings and external customer/stakeholder meetings;
- documenting and following up on important actions and decisions from meetings; and
- assessing, tracking, and managing project risks and issues, and providing solutions where possible.
We would ideally like to see several years of experience in these areas.
We're especially looking for someone who:
- is highly organised and seeks to define process and structure to help you and other team members work efficiently and effectively;
- can quickly gain the trust and confidence of others;
- works well both independently and in a team as part of a fast-paced technical environment;
- possess strong verbal and written communication skills, both for internal and external, customer facing, interactions;
- is diligent, creative, and attentive to details;
- wants to make a strong contribution to the business, financially but also in terms of team culture and values. You enjoy making an impact and shaping how businesses operates; and
- is consistently curious, is interested in learning new skills and is open to new ideas and ways of working.
Desirable skills and experience
Given the potential breadth of this role, there are many additional skills which could be a bonus. As a starting point, we think that the following skills would definitely be valuable:
- an interest in the space industry, especially in the rapidly-moving “New Space” sector;
- knowledge of, or exposure to, the space industry, especially relevant management, product and quality assurance standards;
- experience with different development processes, such as waterfall and agile;
- some experience of software development.
To apply please send your CV along with a Cover Letter to [email protected]